Let's make this forum more Buddhist!

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
binocular

Let's make this forum more Buddhist!

Post by binocular »

Greetings.

Since recently, there has been so much meta-discussion about the workings of this forum, and many complaints about how it's not Buddhist (enough), I have a suggesttion:

All those who are interested in making this forum more Buddhist (and that should be everyone :tongue: ) can here in this thread make a proposal of what they will do to make this forum more Buddhist, and then carry out their plan.

Those who are not big on proposals and announcements can, of course, just do it. :bow:

:buddha1:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Crazy cloud

Re: Let's make this forum more Buddhist!

Post by Crazy cloud »

I prefer you just the way you are! ... :anjali:

my 15 cents :broke:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

1) I will post something on a non-political, non-meta-discursive topic, every day. I will do my best to make that post interesting and useful.

2) If I can't see a thread that I can contribute to as per (1) above, I will try to start a new one.

3) If I can't do that, I will link to a "good news" story.

4) Failing that, I will inflict pictures of my cat doing cute things upon this site until things improve...

:heart:
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Hi Sam

There is this thread - Kindnesss thread

viewtopic.php?t=25723
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Mr Man wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 pm Hi Sam

There is this thread - Kindnesss thread

viewtopic.php?t=25723
Ah, thanks! I didn't know about this thread as it appears to have been initiated when I was having a break from DW.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

The vast majority of topics here, including recent topics are Buddhist, it is just that the contentious, behavioral analysis ones, meta-discussion ones have the most conflict and most views, so appear to be currently dominating the forum, when actually the majority are still Buddhist focused.

We should just continue posting in the Buddhist focused topics as much as possible and still post in politics threads if we wish to do so but then just don't complain about it when someone disagrees with you.
SDC

Post by SDC »

One thing that I used to really enjoy about this forum was that we seemed to have ordinary members here who wielded as much or more influence than the staff, almost solely based on their knowledge of Dhamma. Sadly that is no longer what carries any weight around here - at all. The most impressive attribute now seems to be one's willingness to aggressively take up an issue regardless of its relation to the Dhamma. And this trend started long before the "News" section arrived. I think people realized they weren't getting noticed based on Dhamma knowledge, in Dhammic topics, and were longing for more easily accessible accolades. Hunt down some of the older lounge threads and you'll see precisely what I mean. Members from all over the political spectrum were responsible for making that worldly direction and attitude a significant part of what we discuss here and how we discuss it.

I used to love getting into those really rich Dhamma discussions, but those days are in the past. They can surely come back, but it must be a wholesale effort either from the bottom up or the top down or both. Either way, the general membership needs to rediscover what carries weight around here in "an environment for the discussion of Theravada Buddhism" and you surely do not need the staff's approval in order to do so. There are seven of us and hundreds of you. :shrug:

As binocular said, just do it. If you want to talk Dhamma, talk Dhamma. If that sounds boring to you, then just keep participating in nonsense threads that have nothing at all to do with Dhamma, further proliferating an unDhammic direction of DW.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Maybe rather than "more Buddhist" less un-Buddhist.

Recognizing that there is a problem is a start.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

That is why I don't visit temples.
Most of the time what we discuss in temple is politics and business.
Great thing about DW is that we have the option to ignore those discussions.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
L.N.

Post by L.N. »

How about trying to recognize the potential for Dhamma discussion in the Topics which are started rather than just assuming there is an ulterior motive? Also, we can be kinder to each other (assuming that is not too controversial to request).
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I really like this topic. My personal objective remains to give members this space, free of coersion, and not telling people what they ought to do with it. Therefore, it's refreshing to see people wanting to take some personal ownership of what they want this forum to be, and leading themselves in that direction, instead of expecting to be lead by someone else.

:thumbsup:

To support that, staff will maintain the parameters for the environment (e.g. ToS definition and adherence) but it is members who will ultimately decide what they want to do within that environment. If there's anything I or David can do, by tweaking those parameters to help you achieve what you want to achieve, please let me know and we can start the discussion.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

I think it is also important for the community to be open to feedback.

The Buddha was responsive to feedback and did not automatically dismiss concerns.

Gandhi was an activist.

I think less use of divisive rhetoric and pejorative terms would be good.

I think caution should be used when posting meme's/clips/links especially when they are strongly political/partisan.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 pm 4) Failing that, I will inflict pictures of my cat doing cute things upon this site until things improve...
:thumbsup:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

4) Failing that, I will inflict pictures of my cat doing cute things upon this site until things improve...

:twothumbsup:
binocular

Post by binocular »

SDC wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:26 pmOne thing that I used to really enjoy about this forum was that we seemed to have ordinary members here who wielded as much or more influence than the staff, almost solely based on their knowledge of Dhamma. Sadly that is no longer what carries any weight around here - at all.
Perhaps these things come in cycles. When a person progresses on the Path, they probably eventually lose interest in online discussions, so when such a person distances themselves from online forums, there's an open position there.
Perhaps in some time, some current posters will get more serious, more real about the Dhamma, come to a phase where they can discuss a lot of Dhamma at the forums, and eventually grow out of it.
And of course, for this to happen, there have to be several such posters at the same time at the forums.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!