DhammaWheel TOS: Add 'Incessant/Repeated Trolling'

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
samseva

DhammaWheel TOS: Add 'Incessant/Repeated Trolling'

Post by samseva »

It would be a good idea to add this. Obviously, a clear definition of what 'trolling' is should be given. I think we all agree that freedom of speech is important, but also that trolling, especially nowadays, is also very present and can easily create havoc (all the while respecting all the points of the TOS).

While this could be seen as something that could be used in a way that would be an abuse of power, the 'incessant/repeated' part is important and would probably avoid this—say if an individual is constantly harassing/disrupting, he/she could be formally given a notice. If that person is to continue with trolling behaviour, another notice should be given. Other actions should be taken if notices have no effect. Obviously, this TOS clause, if it were to be added, should be used in the rare cases where the behaviour is serious trolling, and where it is repeated even after multiple notices.
retrofuturist

Re: DhammaWheel TOS: Add 'Incessant/Repeated Trolling'

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings samseva,

In relation to the instance that caused you to bring this suggestion to the fore, I think you did a very good job at detailing in that topic itself how the existing Terms of Service clauses are adequate to restrict and curtail the negative behaviours you describe. I am hesitant to add any further clauses, because (in line with your caveat) they could be subject to future abuse by someone with an authoritarian streak.

Were it someone else on the end of such persistent "trolling", we would have invariably taken disciplinary action against the member. In this case, it is slightly different, because my shoulders are broad enough to deal with the inane accusations, and I am happy to take it up in the realm of debate. However, there comes a point where such belligerence becomes a burden to the forum at large, rather than simply the target of that trolling. If there is the sense that this threshold is crossed, then the account in question may be terminated. As you know, the member in question's account is illegitimate as it is, and it requires no justification beyond that for their account to be terminated without notice. No doubt, said member would resume their past behaviours of complaining about moderation, and trying to surreptitiously bypass their banning, but so blow the worldly winds...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
samseva

Post by samseva »

Hi Paul,

I very much respect your tolerance and the much work and time put into moderation of DhammaWheel. And just to make sure, I wrote this due to the situation which you described, but this is based on other situations as well.

It's just that, while abuse of power is real and does happen, I (and I think others as well) believe that moderators should have authority. If there is an instance where an individual clearly is trolling and being intentionally disruptive—even after multiple mentions from moderators and/or members—but that the behaviours in question don't go against the TOS (without the troll clause), then in theory, the moderators should let that person continue with their disruptive behaviour. This is a perfectly just system, but it doesn't make sense as a whole.

Having a troll clause would avoid this situation—and this would back the moderators and allow decisions where something not mentioned in the TOS is occurring.

I also understand your tolerance and kindness to give more chances, but when 1/3 of the forum is about a disruptive member, it is a different situation.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings samseva,

Thank you for your thoughts. I (and I assume other moderators too) shall bear them in mind.

In the meantime, I encourage you and other members to report any posts which you feel are a violation of the Terms of Service.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."