delete the music thread

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
denise

Re: delete the music thread

Post by denise »

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Why would you search for 'music' if you're not interested in music. :rolleye:

Unless you're looking for specifically Buddhist music, which can be done by specifying that in your search. Members here have found that searching through google works better:

site:dhammawheel.com your search terms here

I'm not a big fan of music and don't like dancing (10 seconds and I'll be late for the door), but I would never impose my preferences on others. Let them do what they like and one can choose which threads to read and participate in.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Sovatthika wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:41 ami think having a subforum that is inherently unrelated to buddhism may weaken the discourse

Seriously -- I agree with you, and there is a lot to say about having and being a companion in ruinous fun. But there is no obligation that one must be a serious Buddhist practitioner, or that one must practice 24/7, so there's a lot of possibilities ...

Basically, I think what perhaps should be examined in regards to this topic is acceptance or tolerance for the variety of degrees of commitment to the Buddhist path, and the various interpretations of Buddhist practice and how to wisely relate to all this variety.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

DNS wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:13 pm Why would you search for 'music' if you're not interested in music. :rolleye:

I would never impose my preferences on others. Let them do what they like and one can choose which threads to read and participate in.
dhamma about music. i'm not imposing a preference but i'll leave it
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
SDC

Post by SDC »

Sovatthika wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:49 pm
DNS wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:13 pm Why would you search for 'music' if you're not interested in music. :rolleye:

I would never impose my preferences on others. Let them do what they like and one can choose which threads to read and participate in.
dhamma about music. i'm not imposing a preference but i'll leave it
I do understand your concern.

Just curious, are you aware of the history of this forum? Did you lurk for a period of time prior to joining? The reason we have sections that are not explicitly Dhammic is to prevent those more worldly topics from cluttering up Dhammic discussions. It was the trend of discussion that brought about that need - the membership was inclined to discuss those things so the staff made the decision to expand to those sections. It did not occur the other way around. In an attempt to close this off this expansion a few years back, the community experienced a very turbulent period and even though we are still far from perfect, allowing members the opportunity to discuss these things on the forum has calmed the waters and served to protect our main purpose of being a place to discuss Theravada Buddhism.

Otherwise you would have rants about Trump and SWJs in threads about dependent origination - I'm not trying to be funny, that is what ended up happening when there was no outlet available. Sure, it would be nice if Buddhists didn't want to discuss those things (I wish that is how it was), but the choice to avoid such discussion is an individual decision. We are not outside of the world, so as long as the membership has the inclination we will be providing a place for it.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
SDC

Post by SDC »

Mkoll wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:00 am The music thread is probably the only long thread on this forum that doesn't have people getting attached to views and arguing with each other about which is better, provoking, deriding, etc. etc. The music thread is positively wholesome in comparison.

This is seriously a fact.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

True, except that topics do not have a mind, and thus cannot have wholesome and unwholesome mind-states.

It's what people bring to a topic that is wholesome or unwholesome, and no one will ever really know the mind-state of a person making a post, other than the person themselves.

This is why we do not try to police people's minds (as indicated by TOS concepts such as "autonomy" and "psychoanalysis") ... only regulating inappropriate forum behaviours.

A subtle distinction perhaps, but one that implies that people should spend more time being mindful of their own mind-states than fretting about the mind-states of others. To do so is a distraction, a projection, and conceptual proliferation.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Mkoll wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:38 am You should read this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22044

Thing should be a sticky and recommended reading for new members. Might prevent some of the repeated posts about themes that crop up like clockwork.
That idea might work better if it wasn't a restricted forum, I got this message
You are not authorised to read this forum.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings ieee23,

It's in the "Connections to Other Paths" section which is unrestricted.

Can you try again? I suspect the error message signifies some access/network issue, moreso than controls over forum access.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SDC wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 pm Otherwise you would have rants about Trump and SWJs in threads about dependent origination -
Trump is a dependently arisen phenomenon, and therefore transient and empty. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SDC

Post by SDC »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:30 am
SDC wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:08 pm Otherwise you would have rants about Trump and SWJs in threads about dependent origination -
Trump is a dependently arisen phenomenon, and therefore transient and empty. :tongue:
:jumping:
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:49 am Greetings ieee23,

It's in the "Connections to Other Paths" section which is unrestricted.

Can you try again?
Same result, blocked, same message.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Sovatthika,

Just ask retrofuturist to have the music thread/that section of the board blocked from your view.
binocular

Post by binocular »

ieee23 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:27 pmSame result, blocked, same message.
This is the link to the second post in the thread, see if you can access it:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22044#p314340
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Nope.

Same error message.