Like button - Poll

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

Should Dhamma Wheel add Like buttons?

Yes
18%
No
79%
Yes for Dislike button
3%
No for Equanimity button
No votes
Silliness button
No votes

Total votes: 38

Nicholas Weeks

Like button - Poll

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Not as serious a poll as I would Like. :zzz:

Vote changing insisted on...
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
SarathW

Re: Like button - Poll

Post by SarathW »

I voted "no" as this practice promote self view.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

A "no" from me - because a Dhamma group doesn't need to imitate social media sites in order to have intelligent, discussions between its members.

:anjali:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

There are different ways to implement one with the main difference being able to dislike as well. For example, on Sutta Central one you only like but on a place like Reddit you can upvote and also downvote. The former would be a better implementation for this kind of board.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I read Sutta Central discussions occasionally and I think it would be so much better without any extra clutter in the discussions.

I really can't see what the benefits are for adult practitioners, other than to accumulate fans, I suppose, and too bad for those poor folks who don't get any "likes".

Its quite easy to express appreciation in a few well-chosen words, if one feels the need. However perhaps pressing a button to a recording of some grunts would be easier!

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

njet! ... :console:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

No, and...

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

This why we have these...

:goodpost: :twothumbsup: :thanks: :thumbsup: :clap: :bow: :jumping: :heart:

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
phil

Post by phil »

God no. :jawdrop:
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
binocular

Post by binocular »

Aloka wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:40 amIts quite easy to express appreciation in a few well-chosen words, if one feels the need.
And people should be encouraged to practice this, in order to become more articulate, more discerning.

A feature like the "like" button dumbs people down, limits their tendency for goodwill and for being happy with others and for others, and dilutes the quality of interactions.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

I voted "no".

My opinion is that being able to vote on posts, "like" buttons etc contributes to compulsive and immature mentalities that are a bit of an anathema for the kind of mental states Buddhists are trying to get in and stay in.

On the positive side, such things let you know that your writing was read and maybe appreciated. That feels good. On the other hand this isn't really positive. An intellectually mature adult should base their opinions what they think is true and it shouldn't matter to them whether other people appreciate it or not. It seems like that would be even more true for what Buddhists should be striving for.

I have seen many articles that such things encourage impulsive behaviour, also not where you want to be going as a Buddhist. People check their social media obsessively, looking to see their score. Such switching back and forth prevents people from going into deeper thought, deeper states of mind.

I think as close to a pure text enviornment with the ability to post multimedia dhamma files is the best for a Buddhist forum. I think buttons, memes, video responses instead of words, and little animations reflect immaturity in the mind and take away from a serious discussion.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19