What is size limit for attachments?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Nicholas Weeks

What is size limit for attachments?

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I tried one that was 5MB and that was too big.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: What is size limit for attachments?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The limit seems to be 0.5 Mbytes: 517 Kbytes was too large.

Use the RIOT plugin for IrfanView to reduce images to the target size. JPG compresses well.

For other file types, compress them with 7-Zip (I attach a nice free font, compressed in 7z format.

Upload large files to DropBox and post a link, or use Filebin to share large files for a limited time.
Attachments
Mahakampa.7z
(151.53 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The limit seems to be 0.5 Mbytes: 517 Kbytes was too large.

Use the RIOT plugin for IrfanView to reduce images to the target size. JPG compresses well.

For other file types, compress them with 7-Zip (I attach a nice free font, compressed in 7z format.

Upload large files to DropBox and post a link, or use Filebin to share large files for a limited time.
Good and useful advice Venerable, for a techie that is - an old Luddite like me remains in the past.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You may need to remove some attachments. ;)
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:You may need to remove some attachments. ;)
:clap:

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Will wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The limit seems to be 0.5 Mbytes: 517 Kbytes was too large.

Good and useful advice Venerable, for a techie that is - an old Luddite like me remains in the past.
Most image viewers will let you change the image size and re-save the file at its smaller size. Around 600 pixels wide is big enough for most purposes here, and will become a file which is well under the upload limit.
Just make sure you save it with a new name or you will have lost your large original version! (I usually add an 's' for 'small' to the original name because that reminds me which one I'm working with.)

:namaste:
Kim
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Kim OHara wrote:Most image viewers will let you change the image size and re-save the file at its smaller size. Around 600 pixels wide is big enough for most purposes here, and will become a file which is well under the upload limit.
True, but if you want to retain the highest quality image without reducing the resolution, the RIOT plugin will do that for you, using the highest possible JPG quality while remaining below the target size.
Attachments
Avatar 500.jpg (485.17 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
mario92

Post by mario92 »

That is a beautiful Buddha
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

It is known as the "Six Storey Buddha," Chauk Htat gyi Piya.
Mahāgandhayon Sayādaw wrote:Burmese sculptors make Buddha images in Burmese style; likewise Chinese and Indian sculptors carve in their own styles. The real intention is to make people think of the Buddha and adore him even more.
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

< insert obligatory joke about Buddhism and attachments here >
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

ieee23 wrote:< insert obligatory joke about Buddhism and attachments here >
Too late - https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29593

:coffee:
Kim
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

Other alternatives:

Given some degree of trust, privately communicate and transfer larger files via email attachment.

Or, if donor has a website, provide a link to where it can be downloaded from -- as, for example, Bhikku Pesala does for his translations and writings.

(I've found DropBox s/t gets in my face a bit, takes over parts of the system and GUI.)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Filebin.net is a no hassles site where you can upload large files. They are stored for two months before they expire. No registration is required.
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Filebin.net is a no hassles site where you can upload large files. They are stored for two months before they expire. No registration is required.
Thanks. I, for one, will check it out. :bow:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

DNS is working to increase it to 10MB, I think.

As of now it is still 500KB.