Should we have a essays forum?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
SarathW

Should we have a essays forum?

Post by SarathW »

I just wonder whether it is a good idea to have a essays forum such as Sutta Central.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Re: Should we have a essays forum?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,

What does an "essays forum" do?

What discussion could be had in an "essay forum" that couldn't be done under the current structure?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I thought Dhamma wheel is a question and answers forum.
If I write some thing with my own opinion I cant put that to the forum because it is not a question.'
I wrote an article (five A4 papers) about five years ago about Anatta.
Now I feel I need to publish it.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote:I thought Dhamma wheel is a question and answers forum.
No, it's a discussion forum. Only the Discovering Theravada section could be described as a "question and answers forum".
SarathW wrote:If I write some thing with my own opinion I cant put that to the forum because it is not a question.
Wouldn't that constitute...

Modern Interpretations
Exploring modern Theravāda interpretations of the Buddha's teaching.

:?:
SarathW wrote:I wrote an article (five A4 papers) about five years ago about Anatta.
Now I feel I need to publish it.
Sure, either "General Theravada" or "Modern Interpretations" would seem appropriate, depending on the content. I'll leave it to you where you put it, and we'll move it for you if we think it's actually better suited elsewhere.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Retro.
:anjali:
binocular

Post by binocular »

I think it would be an interesting -- and probably also an important challenge -- to practice producing longer texts, something like Dhamma talks even; and then also a challenge to read those texts.

An idea would be to focus on a topic, especially a particular practical problem, and then present a solution, in the form of an essay.

I think this would be a good practice leading one to really clarify what one thinks on a matter, and to practice expressing oneself clearly.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!