Meditate before you post

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
dhammarelax

Meditate before you post

Post by dhammarelax »

Dear Friends

What about a new sub forum where all the people that post in there are committed to even 30 minutes of daily mediation, on the one hand it will motivate people to meditate and on the other it will ensure to get a more practice oriented dialogue.

Or a new tick on the log in asking if you have meditated today? if not then you should be unable to log in, or a pop up reminder that meditation is more important than posting?

Maybe just under the text next to the logo of "A Buddhist discussion forum...." it could say something like: "“Over there are roots of trees, over
there are empty dwellings. Meditate. Don’t regret later that you didn’t meditate, that you didn’t practice.”

I think there are unused opportunities to motivate the users to meditate.

smile
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
bodom

Re: Meditate before you post

Post by bodom »

Hi Dhammarelax,

There are those of us here who have children and careers and it is not always feasible for us to sit meditation for 30 minutes everyday. Most days I am able to sit for half an hour. Some days I may only be able to fit in a 10 or 20 minute sit and others not at all.

Meditation ideally is to be practiced at all times and should not be limited to a cushion. If some members here would like to take on this discipline for themselves then that's fine but I dont believe it should be imposed on anyone.

"If you have time to be mindful you have time to meditate." - Ajahn Chah

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

bodom wrote:Hi Dhammarelax,

There are those of us here who have children and careers and it is not always feasible for us to sit meditation for 30 minutes everyday. Most days I am able to sit for half an hour. Some days I may only be able to fit in a 10 or 20 minute sit and others not at all.

Meditation ideally is to be practiced at all times and should not be limited to a cushion. If some members here would like to take on this discipline for themselves then that's fine but I dont believe it should be imposed on anyone.

"If you have time to be mindful you have time to meditate." - Ajahn Chah

:namaste:
Hi bodom

I agree I dont seat every day either but I cannot say is because I didn't find 10 minutes, I think is because I did not prioritize my activities, I think a reminder of the importance of the practice would be positive, sure meditation should be an all day activity but that is a skill that needs the sitting to start with.

smile
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

The stillness of the mind that develops during and after meditation is lost by forcing oneself to participate on social forums

I prefer to keep the peace and be silent as long as it lasts

:)
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters