Monks and Lay users

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Coëmgenu

Monks and Lay users

Postby Coëmgenu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:01 pm

How does one tell when a user is a monk or a layperson? There are been a few times when I, due to my ignorance, believed a user to be a monk when they were, in fact, a layperson. This is complicated by the fact that some users have pictures of monks or collections of monks as their avatar. Now I wouldn't suggest banning pictures of monks in one's avatar if one is a layperson. People should be able to put whatever they want as their avatar within reason. However I am wondering if there is an official registry of monastics who use this site, for the purposes of making contacting them easier.

I suspect this is an issue that is unique to users like myself who are relatively new to the DhammaWheel online community.
神足示現者,
世尊隨其所應,而示現入禪定正受,陵虛至東方,作四威儀,
行、住、坐、臥,入火三昧,出種種火光,青、黃、赤、白、
紅、頗梨色,水火俱現, 或身下出火,身上出水,身上出火,
身下出水,周圓四方亦復如是。

bodom

Re: Monks and Lay users

Postby bodom » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:14 pm

See this thread:

Mark Venerable as Venerable:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22209

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

"Dont send the mind outside. Watch the mind right at the mind."

- Ajahn Dune Atulo

ieee23

Postby ieee23 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:39 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:There are been a few times when I, due to my ignorance, believed a user to be a monk when they were, in fact, a layperson.

I've mistakenly thought that users who are monks were lay people ( the way they behaved ).

samseva

Postby samseva » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:34 am

It would be a good idea, but like Paul said in the original post, adding a burden on monastics visiting the forum to identify themselves wouldn't be that great. However, you eventually know who is a monk and who isn't as you spend more time on the forum. A better way might be to assume everyone is a lay person, until you find out he/she is a monk/nun.
Away (until June or after).

binocular

Postby binocular » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:03 pm

samseva wrote:It would be a good idea, but like Paul said in the original post, adding a burden on monastics visiting the forum to identify themselves wouldn't be that great.

It's not a burden on them. They have vowed to protect and teach the Dhamma, so they should be true to that vow. Being open about their monastic status is part of that.

Coëmgenu

Postby Coëmgenu » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:18 pm

binocular wrote:
samseva wrote:It would be a good idea, but like Paul said in the original post, adding a burden on monastics visiting the forum to identify themselves wouldn't be that great.

It's not a burden on them. They have vowed to protect and teach the Dhamma, so they should be true to that vow. Being open about their monastic status is part of that.
Oddly enough I am not sure if that is part of the formal monastic vows. Obviously its taken for granted that "protecting the Dhamma" is a good thing to do, but I haven't seen any precepts about it specifically.
神足示現者,
世尊隨其所應,而示現入禪定正受,陵虛至東方,作四威儀,
行、住、坐、臥,入火三昧,出種種火光,青、黃、赤、白、
紅、頗梨色,水火俱現, 或身下出火,身上出水,身上出火,
身下出水,周圓四方亦復如是。

binocular

Postby binocular » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:Oddly enough I am not sure if that is part of the formal monastic vows. Obviously its taken for granted that "protecting the Dhamma" is a good thing to do, but I haven't seen any precepts about it specifically.

I think it is perfectly in place to have high standards and high expectations for monks. They aren't being fed and clothed by the lays for nothing.

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:10 am

Unfortunately, I have discovered in the past that not everyone on the internet who calls themselves a monk (or an arahant) is genuine, so there's no guarantee anyway, unless one requests more details.

bhante dhamma

Postby bhante dhamma » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:14 am

hi.ima monk and recently thought, makes.sense to.have a name.that reflects.my 'bhava' bit I tried to edit my profile name and.can't..anyone can help..

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:49 am

An admin (retro or I) could change your username. You can let me know here or in a PM what you'd like your new username to be.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:46 am

dvemebhikkhave wrote:hiI tried to edit my profile name and.can't..anyone can help..

You can edit your forum signature.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Return to “Suggestion box”