Political Incorrectness and Moderation

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Modus.Ponens

Political Incorrectness and Moderation

Post by Modus.Ponens » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Hello.

I would like to understand the current moderation policy with regards to political issues. There are numerous threads on the Lounge, speaking of sensitive subjects. That seems to be ok. On the other hand, it does not seem to be ok to comment on these with unconfortable turths, or politically incorrect opinions. Either I am wrong, or there is a double standard based on political bias, rather than objective standards.

There is a case to be made to discuss these things calmly and I accept my own faults in not doing this often. And in truth, I've never even been warned by the staff to stop talking about this or that. But I also recognise that there are double standards. And the closure of Paul's topic was one such double standard. The closing of topics is tiresome, if not unfair, for those who engage in them.

So what are we allowed to comment? Can we state facts that go against the narrative of groups that are supposedly rooting for good causes? Are we allowed to do this to recover the original noble purposes of such movements? Can we state facts about religions that are deeply unconfortable, yet urgent to deal with, lest we end up letting fascists be the only ones speaking about unconfortable truths?

:anjali:
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

SDC

Re: Political Incorrectness and Moderation

Post by SDC » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:22 pm

The staff is currently discussing the most recent closure. What I can say for sure is that, once again, there were members who made the decision to go off topic. That is our primary issue in that sort of thread: that members fail to discuss the topic and begin discussion EACH OTHER. So the answer is YES, Modus, you can comment, but as soon as members start to poke at one another the thread begins to deteriorate and that is the thing we attempt to mitigate. We do not like to close threads but when they are taken in that direction by the participants we are given little choice.

Bottom line: stay on the topic RAISED IN THE ORIGINAL POST, stop talking about each other personally and threads will stay open. If you want to call each other out regarding a personal matter not related to the topic, do it in a PM.

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:08 pm

why not a issue a moderator note, as has been the practice in the past?
if it is ignored then something concrete can be pointed to as being of issue with the terms of service, or it will work and the topic is kept within the discussion.

Closing threads at the onset does not allow corrections to be made, and new members (or members who have strayed into unsuitable behaviour regarding the TOS) can learn. Remember the Buddha used different "tools" to teach learners sometimes he was gentle, sometimes harsh, and sometimes gentle and harsh. But unless it is with repeat offenders, who are the only participants in a thread, I do not believe a full thread should be closed as that is punishing all participants in the discussion for the few.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Please see the Terms of Service regarding acts of moderation.

Complaining about moderation in public is not the right way to go about this.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

SDC

Post by SDC » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 am