How to search DW for discussions on specific Sutta

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
subaru

How to search DW for discussions on specific Sutta

Post by subaru » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:51 am

When I entered AN 5.26 in DW search box, I get these messages:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: AN 5 26.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 4 characters and must not contain more than 84 characters excluding wildcards.
When I tried to search for Vimutt’yatana , I get
"No suitable matches were found."
How do I search for discussions on Anguttara Nikaya 5.26 Vimutt’yatana ?

Thanks so much
:candle:

Kim OHara

Re: How to search DW for discussions on specific Sutta

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:06 am

The built-in search engine is not very smart or powerful. I usually search DW via Google Advanced Search, https://www.google.com/advanced_search, specifying "Site or domain" as "dhammawheel.com" (There may be quicker ways to do a site-specific search but this is the one I know.)
Then, if "AN 5.26" doesn't find any results, try other key words - "Vimutt’yatana" (and any alternative spellings you can think of, e.g. "Vimuttyatana"), "Anguttara Nikaya 5.26", "Anguttara Nikaya 5" ... even key words from the sutta.

Good luck!

:coffee:
Kim

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:59 am

http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-con ... 6-piya.pdf

(If I can't find it on suttacentral.net as a preliminary step, I tend to search for the Sutta numbers and then "Piya Tan".)

To search DW specifically, add this text to the search:

site:dhammawheel.com

So, in this case:

site:dhammawheel.com an 5.26
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

subaru

Post by subaru » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:08 pm

Wonderful :anjali:
:candle:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Greetings,

The Google Saffron Theravada Search Engine can be used to search all the above mentioned domains and more...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)