Forum Etiquette

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
samseva

Forum Etiquette

Post by samseva » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:11 am

The following is good forum manners/etiquette. They are not rules, but rather guidelines (i.e. optional) as to make Dhamma Wheel a pleasant and convivial place to be.

Please read them and direct others to this thread if appropriate.

Most Important
1. Read the terms of service and A guide on how to get the most out of your new topics.
2. Make sure what you are posting is contributing to the discussion or is a valid question.
3. Trimming: when quoting a post with multiple levels of quotes (or a very lengthy post), remove the previous ones, as to avoid excessive clutter. This will make the thread much more enjoyable to read.
4. Don't post simply to get a higher post count. Aim for "quality over quantity". If you are posting very often (with little contribution), a higher post count is actually an indication that you post too much.
5. Do not unnecessarily dig up old threads. View Thread Digging Checklist before posting.
6. Make use of paragraphs, as to avoid posts that are much more difficult to read.

Creating a Thread
7. Search before starting a new thread.
8. Use good titles when creating a thread.
9. Make sure your thread is in the correct forum.
10. When creating a title, either capitalize each word, or if it is a question, only capitalize the first word and add a question mark at the end ('Kamma Is a Complex Theory' and 'Is kamma as complicated as it seems?').

Posting
11. Use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.
12. Avoid or be careful with more controversial topics such as politics, race, sexuality, illegal behaviour, other religions, etc.
13. Cite your references.
14. When joking or in similar cases, make it obvious (emoticons are useful for this), since humour and things such as irony and tone are usually not detectable from text alone.
15. Use the tags when posting a link (temporary, as to avoid the current bug).
16. Be civil and polite; avoid being rude, cursing, name-calling, insults, abusive speech, derogatory remarks, etc.
17. Stay on topic and avoid "hijacking" threads.
18. Preview your post before submitting it.

Avoiding Problems
19. Do not post anything that violates copyright laws.
20. Don't post personal information. This will be viewable by almost everyone on this planet.
21. Avoid posting all in capital letters.
22. "!!!!!!!!!!!!!", "??????????" , "..........", "=========", and " --------" are erroneous forms of punctuation.

Courtesy
23. When you post an opinion, mention it with something like "In my opinion" or "I believe that...".
24. If you started a thread, give feedback as to your understanding or thanking people for their help (rather than not coming back to it).
25. Although not obligatory, spelling Pāḷi words with the correct diacritics is encouraged, as to improve everyone's knowledge of the Pāḷi language and the correct pronunciation of each word (using the Pāḷi alphabet with its diacritics below and copying and pasting them works well).
26. Be nice to newcomers.

Most importantly, use your common sense and make Dhamma Wheel a good place to be!
Last edited by samseva on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 10 times in total.

samseva

Re: Forum Etiquette at Dhamma Wheel

Post by samseva » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:12 am

Thread Digging Checklist
How old is the thread?
Is the original poster still active on the forum?
Is the thread still relevant?
Is what I have to say a meaningful contribution to the thread, as to justify digging it up?
If my question is relevant and has not yet been discussed, would starting a new thread be more appropriate?

samseva

Post by samseva » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:12 am

Pāḷi Alphabet
(Copy and paste into a text file and then use when posting Pāḷi terms)

a ā i ī u ū e o ṃ k kh g gh ṅ/ṃ/ṁ c ch j jh ñ ṭ ṭh ḍ ḍh ṇ t th d dh n p ph b bh m y r l ḷ ḷh v s h

ā Ā
ī Ī
ū Ū
ñ Ñ

ṃ Ṃ
ṭ Ṭ
ḍ Ḍ
ṇ Ṇ
ṅ Ṅ
ḷ Ḷ

samseva

Post by samseva » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:16 am

I thought a forum etiquette would benefit Dhamma Wheel, so I compiled the following.

This is the rough version. I will revise it in the upcoming days.

Any suggestions or modifications are welcome.

ieee23

Post by ieee23 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:48 pm

Is 32 a practical number of guidelines?
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19

samseva

Post by samseva » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:25 pm

ieee23 wrote:Is 32 a practical number of guidelines?
These guidelines are completely optional to read and follow.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:12 pm

samseva wrote:Pāḷi Alphabet
If you want to use Pāḷi spellings, install my Windows keyboard. Cut and paste is totally impractical for regular use.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

samseva

Post by samseva » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:22 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
samseva wrote:Pāḷi Alphabet
If you want to use Pāḷi spellings, install my Windows keyboard. Cut and paste is totally impractical for regular use.
Usually there are only a few Pāḷi terms per post, which only takes 10-30 seconds to add the diacritics to.

There is also keyboard layout applications (such as Ukelele for Mac), as well as the 'Press and Hold' feature (for OS X), where you can press and hold a key and select the letter with the desired diacritic. You can modify these by following this tutorial.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:42 pm

I've been using Pali Keyboard for awhile now. Ctrl + alt + (shift for capital) + letter gives you the various diacritics. Very easy to use though I just noticed it doesn't seem to be working in Google Chrome but it works in Firefox and IE.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm not sure how necessary this is or what it adds to the current terms of service.

samseva

Re: Forum Etiquette

Post by samseva » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:42 pm

Mawkish1983 wrote:I'm not sure how necessary this is or what it adds to the current terms of service.
It isn't necessary. It is just a way to improve how/what you post. That is, if it is something you wish to do.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:40 pm

I think that because this is a forum about Theravada Buddhism, right speech should be encouraged, especially the parts about abstaining from divisive speech and abusive speech. I know this is an internet forum, but I am occasionally surprised by the tone of certain messages that I read.

:anjali:

Post by 333 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:08 pm

Well thought out post. :twothumbsup:
I was also surprised at the tone of some posts, and think right speech should be emphasized. However, the surprise has waned, because I quickly realized that daily life of individuals will seep into the forum. Even though this is a medium of virtue, a grumpy person, or someone having a bad day, or someone in disagreement and holding very tightly to their views, will not hesitate to be less than polite. As for regulating right speech - that is a thin line to enforce and could border on tyranny, or suppressing peoples genuine opinions - which is why I don't think this is enforced. As I'm sure the issue of right speech has come to the moderators attentions before.
To Avoid All Evil,
To Cultivate Only Good,
And To Purify One's Mind
This Is The Teaching Of All The Buddhas!
-Dhammapada 183

samseva

Post by samseva » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:25 am

333 wrote:Well thought out post. :twothumbsup:
Thank you. This is the first positive comment out of four.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi samseva,

Most of your suggestion are great, and spell out what we hope members would do. However, parts of this suggestion run counter to our usual practice:
samseva wrote:Thread Digging Checklist
How old is the thread?
Is the original poster still active on the forum?
Is the thread still relevant?
Is what I have to say a meaningful contribution to the thread, as to justify digging it up?
If my question is relevant and has not yet been discussed, would starting a new thread be more appropriate?
One of the aim of this Forum is to accumulate detailed, discussions of Dhamma. These discussions may well occur over a long period of time, so the age, or whether the OP is still active is only relevant if the question is time-critical or very personal. If a member wishes to discuss an issue that is already discussed in a thread, it is preferable to continue the existing thread. This saves moderators having to merge similar threads.

By all means, start a new thread if you think your topic really is different from an old topic, but please recognise that members who continue old topics are following our established and encouraged practice.

:anjali:
Mike