Site Backup

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
samseva

Site Backup

Post by samseva » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:08 am

I thought about this a few times. I can't imagine losing all of the site if the server blows up or some other misfortune. Is Dhamma Wheel backed up in case things go awry?

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Site Backup

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:18 am

Perhaps a Buddhist site should accept that all conditions are impermanent, and not worry about keeping backups?

It might not be such a bad thing to scrap everything and start afresh with a new rebirth.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

samseva

Post by samseva » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:23 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Perhaps a Buddhist site should accept that all conditions are impermanent, and not worry about keeping backups?

It might not be such a bad thing to scrap everything and start afresh with a new rebirth.
Yeah, seen in such a way, it wouldn't be that bad. However, there is a lot of very valuable information on the site, which would be unfavourable to lose.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:25 am

The site owner (David) is certainly aware of this. Here's a message from 2009:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ver#p37188
The details may have changed since then, as we've moved servers at least once.

Certainly we have to be prepared for impermanence. It took several years before we had (organically) recreated the threads answering various questions that were lost on E-Sangha when it went down. Some threads in the Pali forum were recovered by one of the users from web archives.

:sage:
Mike

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:12 pm

samseva wrote:I thought about this a few times. I can't imagine losing all of the site if the server blows up or some other misfortune. Is Dhamma Wheel backed up in case things go awry?
Yes, regularly, once per month or more, usually right after the full moon; no auspicious reason, just to help me remember. You must be psychic as it was just done yesterday.

btw, all DW and related sites are on one dedicated private server now, no server shares with other sites, so less down time than before.

waterchan

Post by waterchan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:17 pm

samseva wrote:I thought about this a few times. I can't imagine losing all of the site if the server blows up or some other misfortune.
More often than not, hackers seem to be the reason Buddhist sites go down. I hear that the Buddhist Society of Western Australia lost some of their recorded mp3 talks due to hackers. Apparently the lost talks could not be recovered...

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:19 pm

waterchan wrote:
samseva wrote:I thought about this a few times. I can't imagine losing all of the site if the server blows up or some other misfortune.
More often than not, hackers seem to be the reason Buddhist sites go down. I hear that the Buddhist Society of Western Australia lost some of their recorded mp3 talks due to hackers. Apparently the lost talks could not be recovered...
That's bizarre. Do you know of any reason hackers might be interested in attacking Buddhist websites?
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

waterchan

Post by waterchan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:23 pm

Coyote wrote:
waterchan wrote: More often than not, hackers seem to be the reason Buddhist sites go down. I hear that the Buddhist Society of Western Australia lost some of their recorded mp3 talks due to hackers. Apparently the lost talks could not be recovered...
That's bizarre. Do you know of any reason hackers might be interested in attacking Buddhist websites?
:shrug:
First thing that comes to mind is extremist religious groups. No matter who you are, there is always someone out there who hates your beliefs.

samseva

Post by samseva » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:57 am

David N. Snyder wrote:
samseva wrote:I thought about this a few times. I can't imagine losing all of the site if the server blows up or some other misfortune. Is Dhamma Wheel backed up in case things go awry?
Yes, regularly, once per month or more, usually right after the full moon; no auspicious reason, just to help me remember. You must be psychic as it was just done yesterday.

btw, all DW and related sites are on one dedicated private server now, no server shares with other sites, so less down time than before.
Good to know. Thanks for the input.