Why replies monitored by moderator before published?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
MrLearner

Why replies monitored by moderator before published?

Post by MrLearner » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been a member for sometime now and I usually make my topics in "discovering theravada" section because I'm still a beginner and I don't want to dilute general theravada section with my beginner questions. However despite been a member for sometime, and I really appreciate the job this site is doing, and clearly has no intention to spam but still all my replies have to be moderated before been published in "disovering thervada" section . Yesterday it took a whole day to publish one of my replies. Can not this option be overturned, lets say after you have 30 posts or something. Thank you :)

Cittasanto

Re: Why replies monitored by moderator before published?

Post by Cittasanto » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Have you contacted an admin directly?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:04 pm

All Discovering Theravada threads are moderated categorically. Try making a thread in another section.

:anjali:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:26 pm

daverupa wrote:All Discovering Theravada threads are moderated categorically. Try making a thread in another section.

Curious: how about if a moderator makes a post there? Is his post vetted by another moderator/admin before it shows up there?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Mkoll wrote:
daverupa wrote:All Discovering Theravada threads are moderated categorically. Try making a thread in another section.

Curious: how about if a moderator makes a post there? Is his post vetted by another moderator/admin before it shows up there?
Yes in terms of the fact that each moderator reads just about every post and will step in if things start to get wonky, but no in terms of the fact that any moderator can post in Discovering without the delay.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:24 pm

We established the DT forum to provide a forum where by those new to the tradition could either ask questions and or read questions and authoritative responses free from chatter, personal conjecture and opinion. The benefit of the forum and responses does not just go to oneself but extends to others. Hence, we made the decision at its inception to apply the moderation que to this forum. It is only one of two fora at DW that is on a moderation que.
Only a few people are permitted to post in the forum without delay - these include the monastic community and the mod and admin team.
The moderators and administrators are selected on the basis of their temperament, past behaviour and commitment to the Dhamma and are expected to abide by the guidelines of the DT forum. If they do not we will initiate discussions with them to ascertain why they are not complying with community expectations.
As for removing the moderation bar at 30 posts - I'm sorry but the number of posts one makes is absolutely no indication of quality.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..