24 hrs. of Noble Silence & Dedication to Practice

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
sattva

24 hrs. of Noble Silence & Dedication to Practice

Post by sattva » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:45 pm

I am not sure how best to explain this idea and it will probably be meant with much antagonism, but here goes:

Why not have say once a month a 24 hour period where there can be no posting on Dhamma Wheel? People could be encouraged to spend that time meditating or engaging in any Buddhist practice! I would love to see that happen, especially in the middle of a heated discussion, to give people time to cool off and soften a bit before reposting. Perhaps, a member or a moderator could suggest an appropriate time and the moderators and administrator could vote on it and then implement it.
with metta,
sattva/louise
:anjali:

SDC

Re: 24 hrs. of Noble Silence & Dedication to Practice

Post by SDC » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:17 pm

I'm actually sort of down with this idea. If only to break the habit for a day. Not like half of us wouldn't just browse and read over old topics, but still... ;)

Full moon uposatha?
Last edited by SDC on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:24 pm

Maybe a widget on the front page that shows the moon phase...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:05 am

Instead of imposing curfew, it is better that day restricted only for strict Dhamma discussions.
Dhamma discussion also a part of mindfulness meditation.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:44 am

Greetings,
SarathW wrote:Dhamma discussion also a part of mindfulness meditation.
daverupa wrote:Maybe a widget on the front page that shows the moon phase...
:toast:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:34 am

It might be a good idea to have a thread devoted to this, like the meditation challenge thread, where individuals can let others know their commitment to doing this practice.

I think it would be kind of strange to just completely shut down the forum once a month. I've never heard of a website doing this before except for something like server maintenance.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

sattva

Post by sattva » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:31 am

SarathW wrote:Instead of imposing curfew, it is better that day restricted only for strict Dhamma discussions.
Dhamma discussion also a part of mindfulness meditation.
:thinking:
Discussing is not quite the same as the practice that involves a mat and a cushion. I think part of my idea has to do with seeing where we are attached. How does it FEEL not to be able to post? Are we able to use that time more effectively by ___________? (fill in the blank).

I'd also like to know how any teachers and monks might feel about this idea. Perhaps, we could even dedicate the merit we spent on that day to one big cause, like world peace....

Mkoll, I have never heard of a website doing this either which makes it a fascinating idea to try!

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:51 am

Giving Dhamma is the highest gift!
:)

sattva

Post by sattva » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:18 am

SarathW wrote:Giving Dhamma is the highest gift!
:)
Practicing Dhamma and realizing completing, as Buddha did, our True-Nature is the highest aspiration. Buddha didn't teach until he did that. I am not saying one can't teach what one knows or what Buddha said, but that isn't the same as realizing what he taught for ourselves, and to realize that truth just as completely as he did. :buddha1:

Pipes

Post by Pipes » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:56 pm

I'm not a fan of this idea. If you need a website to shut down for 24 hrs. once a month to help your practice, you just need to get off the computer for a while.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Just do what Buddhists have done since the time of the Buddha — attend an Uposatha Day at your local Vihāra or meditation centre. I schedule one-day retreats on the Saturday closest to the full-moon.

The next one is on September 6th if anyone turns up.

If you have no centre to attend, then take a trip to your nearest forest, park, or some other quiet place and meditate in the open air for the day.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Just do what Buddhists have done since the time of the Buddha — attend an Uposatha Day at your local Vihāra or meditation centre. I schedule one-day retreats on the Saturday closest to the full-moon.

The next one is on September 6th if anyone turns up.

If you have no centre to attend, then take a trip to your nearest forest, park, or some other quiet place and meditate in the open air for the day.
Absolutely - and meditating ouside in the open air is always an excellent idea, whatever day it is.

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:44 am

This doesnt seem like a good idea to me.
Every now and then you see a post by someone in some degree of crisis or other, who, even if all they can really be told is to see a doctor or whatever, is helped just by knowing that someone else is there.
It would be a shame to limit access to a needed resource, just to adhere to some ritual.
Besides, what good is renunciation if it isnt voluntary?
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:31 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:Besides, what good is renunciation if it isnt voluntary?
It can still be beneficial. Often, Buddhist children are sent to meditation centres during the school holidays to keep them out of trouble. Perhaps some are reluctant to go, but many will still benefit enormously when they practice as instructed. Later, they will be mature enough to renounce voluntarily.

Adults should be able to make the right decisions, but often they are not able to without some kind of incentive or help from others.

The Buddha encouraged us to do good deeds, and to encourage others to do good deeds. Don't become a Buddhist Evangelist, but by all means do encourage your friends and family to meditate. Even your dog or cat may benefit by sitting quietly with you rather than going outside to fight with the neighbours' cats and dogs.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

sattva

Post by sattva » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:30 pm

I want to thank all of you for replying to my suggestion. Many valid points were made. :anjali: In some ways, just this posting created exactly what I had hoped would happen if the suggestion had been implemented, ---the ability to see where there may be attachment.

I would suggest that how great your reaction to the thought of closing threads or the forum down for a day might indicate the amount of attachment/craving/addiction you have to some aspect of reading or posting. If by any chance, you felt a sigh of relief at the thought of a day without Dhamma Wheel (as wonderful as it is), a part of you knows you need a break now and then.

I never offered this suggestion because of problems I have with being online or on Dhamma Wheel at this time. Although I definitely have been addicted in the past, especially to the old E-Sangha site. Fortunately for me, life-karma intervened and I was forced to take several hiatuses from E-Sangha, then here and the internet, and even television. lol You talk about withdrawal pains!

Anyway, again thanks for the replies. Wishing you all well! :group:

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi Sattva
Through your post you made an important point.

We are continually looking to satisfy our six senses.
If I do not have the TV I will go to the movies.
If I do not have movies I will listen to the radio.
If I do not have the radio I will gossip with my friends.
If I have no one to gossip I will start eating and so on.

This is caused by the unrest nature of our mind.
The path is all about directing your mind towards a more subtle and wholesome objects an finally to Nirvana.
In that regard participating in DW is more wholesome than other unwholesome activities.

The most important of all is understanding the nature of our mind!