Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
User avatar
Modus.Ponens
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 am
Location: Gallifrey

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by Modus.Ponens » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:05 pm

Mkoll wrote:
acinteyyo wrote:
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:I don't see the point of the question, if I may say so. From my PoV such membership traffic is par for the course. People can come here with an open mind, take what they need and come and go as they please. For all the fluctuations in the forum, I see little or no effect on the overall purpose of the forum. Like a river, it is largely unaffected by the number of boats floating on it....
Seconded. Besides I don't think there is any need for growth. I don't want to say that growth isn't welcomed but I just don't see any necessity for it.
I agree. Intervention to spur growth is unnecessary.
I assume the purpose is to be a platform where people can learn and discuss theravada buddhism. If that's the purpose, why not try to make it better and more appealing? Again, this information could be solely for the moderators to know, and no one else. This way, the principles that make this a good forum could be mantained and yet new good/useful suggestions could arise.
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6445
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by Mkoll » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Modus.Ponens wrote:I assume the purpose is to be a platform where people can learn and discuss theravada buddhism. If that's the purpose, why not try to make it better and more appealing? Again, this information could be solely for the moderators to know, and no one else. This way, the principles that make this a good forum could be mantained and yet new good/useful suggestions could arise.
My question would be: What practical steps could be taken to make Dhamma Wheel better and more appealing?

Honestly, I can't think of any that make good sense.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
Modus.Ponens
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 am
Location: Gallifrey

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by Modus.Ponens » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:26 am

Mkoll wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:I assume the purpose is to be a platform where people can learn and discuss theravada buddhism. If that's the purpose, why not try to make it better and more appealing? Again, this information could be solely for the moderators to know, and no one else. This way, the principles that make this a good forum could be mantained and yet new good/useful suggestions could arise.
My question would be: What practical steps could be taken to make Dhamma Wheel better and more appealing?

Honestly, I can't think of any that make good sense.
That's precisely the point. New people have new ideas and new information that can be useful. Just on the technical level alone, this format will become obsolete some day. Isn't it best to hear from younger people who are up to date with new formats? The stack exchange format is being extremely successful and is one step further than this format. What will happen when there's two or three steps ahead to be caught up by the forum?

Besides, what's wrong with asking people who enter, and people who leave, what they expect and what they didn't like? We, the most active forum members, may be somewhat unsynchronised with what many people want. If what they want doesn't go against the forum's principles, what is wrong with that? I really can't see anything wrong with that. Can you explain me what would be wrong?
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 4408
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by SDC » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:36 am

I just think the teaching available by way of Theravada isn’t very appealing to the masses. Not our problem.






Oh yeah, and we argue about everything.

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6445
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by Mkoll » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:46 am

Modus.Ponens wrote:
Mkoll wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:I assume the purpose is to be a platform where people can learn and discuss theravada buddhism. If that's the purpose, why not try to make it better and more appealing? Again, this information could be solely for the moderators to know, and no one else. This way, the principles that make this a good forum could be mantained and yet new good/useful suggestions could arise.
My question would be: What practical steps could be taken to make Dhamma Wheel better and more appealing?

Honestly, I can't think of any that make good sense.
That's precisely the point. New people have new ideas and new information that can be useful. Just on the technical level alone, this format will become obsolete some day. Isn't it best to hear from younger people who are up to date with new formats? The stack exchange format is being extremely successful and is one step further than this format. What will happen when there's two or three steps ahead to be caught up by the forum?
OK, updating the forum software, that's a practical step.

Can you think of anything else beside that?
Modus.Ponens wrote:Besides, what's wrong with asking people who enter, and people who leave, what they expect and what they didn't like? We, the most active forum members, may be somewhat unsynchronised with what many people want. If what they want doesn't go against the forum's principles, what is wrong with that? I really can't see anything wrong with that. Can you explain me what would be wrong?
I don't see anything wrong with that. Neither do I see much point in it either. I mean, what do you expect will follow if the moderators and forum staff have some poll results? What could they do with those results? What would they use the information for? What would they change?

And I don't think this forum is here to cater to "what many people want". This forum isn't trying to sell a product. This forum is not competing in a marketplace and trying to be better than other forums. It's, as the top of the page says: "A Buddhist discussion forum on the Dhamma of the Theravada".

~~~

Granted, I'm not a particularly creative type of person so maybe I'm missing something. If that's the case, please enlighten me.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6445
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by Mkoll » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:52 am

SDC wrote:I just think the teaching available by way of Theravada isn’t very appealing to the masses. Not our problem.
Except in Theravadan countries. But there is a different dynamic in play there having to do with culture, identity, history, social structure, etc.
Oh yeah, and we argue about everything.
That's a bit hyperbolic. It's an online religious forum. What do you expect? I'd be very surprised...no, completely astounded, to see even one online religious forum where there isn't arguing about religious points.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 4408
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by SDC » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:09 am

Mkoll wrote:
Oh yeah, and we argue about everything.
That's a bit hyperbolic. It's an online religious forum. What do you expect? I'd be very surprised...no, completely astounded, to see even one online religious forum where there isn't arguing about religious points.
You wanna argue about it? :tongue:

I expect nothing less after 5 years here. While it may be a symptom of online forums it is sure not an appealing one.

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6445
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by Mkoll » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:12 am

SDC wrote:
Mkoll wrote:
Oh yeah, and we argue about everything.
That's a bit hyperbolic. It's an online religious forum. What do you expect? I'd be very surprised...no, completely astounded, to see even one online religious forum where there isn't arguing about religious points.
You wanna argue about it? :tongue:

I expect nothing less after 5 years here. While it may be a symptom of online forums it is sure not an appealing one.
An attribute, more like. :tongue:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

SarathW
Posts: 10327
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by SarathW » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:23 am

Hi Mkoll
We are either a customer or a supplier (buyer or seller) always.
Even Buddha was trying to sell something. (idea)
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6445
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by Mkoll » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:30 am

SarathW wrote:Hi Mkoll
We are either a customer or a supplier (buyer or seller) always.
Even Buddha was trying to sell something. (idea)
:thinking:
So all human interaction comes down to trade and economics? Interesting way of seeing things but a bit too cynical in my view.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

SarathW
Posts: 10327
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by SarathW » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:32 am

Don't blame me.
This is what I was taught in the school.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6445
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by Mkoll » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:36 am

SarathW wrote:Don't blame me.
This is what I was taught in the school.
:)
I think I know what you mean.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 4408
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by SDC » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:40 am

Mkoll wrote:
SDC wrote:You wanna argue about it? :tongue:

I expect nothing less after 5 years here. While it may be a symptom of online forums it is sure not an appealing one.
An attribute, more like. :tongue:
Yeah, yeah, yeah.





:D

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6445
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by Mkoll » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:45 am

SDC wrote:
Mkoll wrote:
SDC wrote:You wanna argue about it? :tongue:

I expect nothing less after 5 years here. While it may be a symptom of online forums it is sure not an appealing one.
An attribute, more like. :tongue:
Yeah, yeah, yeah.





:D
:lol:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
Weakfocus
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by Weakfocus » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:18 am

Dan74 wrote:I think offering an optional questionnaire at the time of joining (what one is looking for? what are the expectations? etc) and also asking for feedback (optional of course) from members is a good idea to gauge where the forum is succeeding and where it is not.
True, what makes a person register with a forum and what keeps them coming back might be two entirely different things. People grow and with time their expectations from a community also changes.

I personally do not think things are dire here at Dhammawheel. For the type of content/ideas we have here, the forum is fairly busy. We have to accept that only a small fraction of total human population has any real interest in giving up their worldly distractions and taking any steps towards learning about Dhamma (particularly practical Dhamma). Their kamma might not be strong/ripe enough yet for them to take more concrete steps towards liberation. Forums like Dhammawheel will never compete with gossip/sport/hobby/BS oriented forums in terms of members and traffic.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests