Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
User1249x

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by User1249x »

binocular wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:20 pm
User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:00 pmI don't think only stream enterers should post, imo that would surely be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Oh. So you want butterflies, but you don't want the caterpillars ...
i think some effort could be made to somehow contain and check certain attitudes.

Which attitudes?

I think the real brute is someone who claims to be wishing others metta, but who actually hates them. Then another especially vicious kind of brute are those who appeal to power, but who blatantly deny doing so and who call to "rationality" and "critical thinking".

The people who post profanities or who lack faith are actually the least of problems, even though they are usually presented as being the worst.
Also with power comes responsibility so tnx but no tnx.
That's cowardly. You keep calling for a change, but you don't want to do anything about it.
For me personally two people are particularly problematic. One keeps acting like he is in a different reality and the other keeps repeating the same thing as if it was a mantra, both have machine like persistence and i do think these are very disturbed individuals who cling to their views as if their whole identity was built around them.

IE one would keep telling you that the sky was the ocean and the ocean was the sky, obviously. The other would keep spamming aphorisms with the worst accusations.
The people who post profanities or who lack faith are actually the least of problems, even though they are usually presented as being the worst.
I do agree that they are the least of problems as well, these people are a fleeting inconvenience while the other two i mentioned are like integrated bots designed to make one waste time and suffer.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:43 am Anyway, i think it will remain stagnant and i would be very surprised if it does not further decline. The remedy is obviously to expel the cancer** and make rules to protect the good posters and to restrain the bad ones.
** Halfwit comments, loose tongues, wrong views etc
User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:37 pm For me personally two people are particularly problematic. One keeps acting like he is in a different reality and the other keeps repeating the same thing as if it was a mantra, both have machine like persistence and i do think these are very disturbed individuals who cling to their views as if their whole identity was built around them.

IE one would keep telling you that the sky was the ocean and the ocean was the sky, obviously. The other would keep spamming aphorisms with the worst accusations.
I do agree that they are the least of problems as well, these people are a fleeting inconvenience while the other two i mentioned are like integrated bots designed to make one waste time and suffer.
You appear to bring up these issues every now and then, stating how bad the forum is, how it will end soon, blah, blah, and then the forum continues and you continue to post too. It is is a fairly large forum, so there are bound to be some members you don't agree with, so why not just ignore them?
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

DNS wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 pm
User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:37 pm For me personally two people are particularly problematic. One keeps acting like he is in a different reality and the other keeps repeating the same thing as if it was a mantra, both have machine like persistence and i do think these are very disturbed individuals who cling to their views as if their whole identity was built around them.

You appear to bring up these issues every now and then, stating how bad the forum is, how it will end soon, blah, blah, and then the forum continues and you continue to post too. It is is a fairly large forum, so there are bound to be some members you don't agree with, so why not just ignore them?
in case u did not notice DW is seeing a decline and my participation is seeing a decline. will it end soon? depends on what you mean by ending, my official prediction is that it will soon go back to how it was around december 2017 and it will keep declining, that is my prediction. A year time and it will be more or less dead imho.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:52 pm in case u did not notice DW is seeing a decline and my participation is seeing a decline. will it end soon? depends on what you mean by ending, my official prediction is that it will be how it was around december 2017 and it will keep declining, that is my prediction. A year time and it will be more or less dead imho.
Yes, I know, you have been saying that for years and yet it keeps going. :tongue:

There has been some drop in activity and this was to be expected, when we removed the News & Politics and the Lounge. That traffic has gone to Dharma Wheel Engaged. The members have noted that the quality of discussions has increased, however, so it's all good.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

DNS wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 pm
User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:52 pm in case u did not notice DW is seeing a decline and my participation is seeing a decline. will it end soon? depends on what you mean by ending, my official prediction is that it will be how it was around december 2017 and it will keep declining, that is my prediction. A year time and it will be more or less dead imho.
Yes, I know, you have been saying that for years and yet it keeps going. :tongue:

There has been some drop in activity and this was to be expected, when we removed the News & Politics and the Lounge. That traffic has gone to Dharma Wheel Engaged. The members have noted that the quality of discussions has increased, however, so it's all good.
Time will show.
There has been no growth since beginning of 2017 and there has been a 40% decline in the last year.

It's all good yeah, splendid.

As i said tho time will show and btw i have only been a member for less than 3 years and i probably did not start saying anything before the beginning of 2017 so i probably was right all along.
Last edited by User1249x on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

dw alexa.png
As I said, there was some decrease right around the time when the News & Politics and Lounge was migrated to DWE. Note the alexa.com graph indicating the decline exactly at that time. But as members have noted, the quality of discussions has improved.

Yes, it's all good; quality is better than quantity.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

DNS wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:32 pm dw alexa.png

As I said, there was some decrease right around the time when the News & Politics and Lounge was migrated to DWE. Note the alexa.com graph indicating the decline exactly at that time. But as members have noted, the quality of discussions has improved.

organic traffic has seen 40% decline since the beginning of 2017, who cares about the site's ranking... Anyway i am not an analyst of these stats i just see that you are losing good posters all the time and i think it is a no brainer.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 pm organic traffic has seen 40% decline since the beginning of 2017, who cares about the site's ranking... Anyway i am not an analyst of these stats i just see that you are losing good posters all the time and i think it is a no brainer.
It's the same. The alexa rankings are based on traffic and it clearly went down the exact time we migrated News, Politics, Lounge to DWE.

People come and go for a variety of reasons. Even admins and mods (even me) disappear from time to time with IRL responsibilities, family, business, schooling, travels, etc.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

DNS wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:47 pm
User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:41 pm organic traffic has seen 40% decline since the beginning of 2017, who cares about the site's ranking... Anyway i am not an analyst of these stats i just see that you are losing good posters all the time and i think it is a no brainer.
It's the same. The alexa rankings are based on traffic and it clearly went down the exact time we migrated News, Politics, Lounge to DWE.

People come and go for a variety of reasons. Even admins and mods (even me) disappear from time to time with IRL responsibilities, family, business, schooling, travels, etc.
perhaps i am wrong but i very much know why i personally wont be posting much and i am quite interested in seeing the development in 6 to 12 months time.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:twothumbsup:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:55 pmperhaps i am wrong but i very much know why i personally wont be posting much
Its a good thing you do not post because I personally can't' see the benefit of your continuing what you have previously done.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:56 pm
:twothumbsup:
What I'm enjoying, generally speaking (i.e. this topic aside), is that since the News and Lounge sections have been retired, certain members have been far less quarrelsome, if indeed participating at all. As such, those who wanted to turn Dhamma Wheel into Drama Wheel have much less fodder to latch onto now that such fertile grounds "idle chatter" are out of scope. Perhaps it's only the Suggestion Box and topics like this which give such people an outlet for their grievance mongering.

With the shift, people have been able to self-select whether they're really interested in discussing the Dhamma, as understood within the Theravada tradition, (in which case they stay) or whether it was something less wholesome bringing them here (in which case they go). I like that this positive outcome was able to be achieved without the imposition of any force or strife, and unfolded naturally.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

DNS wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:32 pm But as members have noted, the quality of discussions has improved.

Much agreed! :anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Another consideration when looking at the chart above, which will be most meaningful to those who have been here for a long time, is the sharp spike in activity created and sustained by two major events - firstly what Circle5 has often described as "the revolution" (gather around and Circle5 will tell you all about it!) as well as the US 2016 election and the subsequent election of President Donald J. Trump.

Now that the hubbub from that dynamic (yet necessary) "revolution" has died down, and the associated residual drama has been further dissipated through the retiring of the News and Lounge sections, you can see we're actually back to the long-term trend that existed prior to that point - and, as noted, with a better quality of discussion due to the refined forum scope.

:geek:

As such, I don't see much merit in [name redacted by admin]'s doom-mongering analysis. It seems as if he is trying to push a particular narrative and is misinterpreting the data through his zeal to do so.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 pm Greetings,
As such, I don't see much merit in [name redacted by admin]'s doom-mongering analysis. It seems as if he is trying to push a particular narrative and is misinterpreting the data through his zeal to do so.

Metta,
my experience is subjective but it is what it is..
Last edited by User1249x on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.