Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
SarathW

Re: Why Dhammawheel is not growing?

Post by SarathW »

I did another quick assessment of the progress of DW.
Now it is averaging 2.79% ie (350/12543*100) users online compares to 2.27% last year.
This is a good indication that DW is growing at a steady pace.
Congratulation to all admin staff not to mention the regular users and contributors.
Last edited by SarathW on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:31 am I did another quick assessment of the progress of DW.
Now it is averaging 2.79% users online compares to 2.27% last year.
This is a good indication that DW is growing at a steady pace.
Congratulation to all admin staff not to mention the regular users and contributors.
:woohoo: :twothumbsup: :woohoo:
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,

A far more accurate measure on the level of activity is how many Active Topics there are in the present 7 day period.

Keeping in mind I see all forums (even though there are no tracking reports for Active Topics that I can make reference to), it was at 85 when I rejoined the team in July 2016. It has not dropped below that level since. Right now, it is 134 which is literally busier than it's been at any time since July 2016, and I suspect that 134 is the highest it's been for quite some time before that too. (Most members will see less than 134 because they do not have access to the moderator forum etc.)

In that sense, it's literally busier than it's been in years. When it hit high 120's, that's when we brought Sam Vara on board. Until that point, there hadn't been the volume to justify any new appointments.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

[A far more accurate measure on the level of activity is how many Active Topics there are in the present 7 day period./quote]

I am glad you are a better statistician than me Retro.
Now I know it is in safe hand.
:twothumbsup:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,

Thanks.

As I'm sure you know, we're always open to ideas for improvement or how to increase activity, so long as they don't come into conflict with the key principles of the forum, which have served it very well during the periods when they have been enacted.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

overloaded with skeptics and openly contradicting buddha's dhamma and also off-topic content maybe
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:31 am Congratulation to all admin staff not to mention the regular users and contributors.
Also thanks to the people who start threads, without which there would be nothing to discuss!
Buddha save me from new-agers!
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

Dhammarakkhito wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am overloaded with skeptics and openly contradicting buddha's dhamma and also off-topic content maybe
:thumbsup:
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

The point of the teachings is that we all should get lost!, so who's misunderstanding now ... ;)

:shrug:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
binocular

Post by binocular »

Dhammarakkhito wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 amoverloaded with skeptics and openly contradicting buddha's dhamma and also off-topic content maybe
I already told you: Limit the forum membership to those who have attained at least sotapanna. Ditch everyone else.
Sounds good?

:alien:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dhammarakkhito wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:39 am overloaded with skeptics and openly contradicting buddha's dhamma and also off-topic content maybe
Actually, this is one of the reasons DW is doing so well. We don't have a Dharma-police here, banning questions on the Dhamma, challenging some Buddhist concepts and beliefs and we allow it to be discussed. Some other forums (some that have died off) had rigid rules of what could be discussed and participation naturally died off (for example, some had rules that there could be no questioning of rebirth and other Buddhist concepts).

I don't consider myself a skeptic nor a secular Buddhist, but I'm glad we have some members who fit that category as it enriches the forum and the conversations to discuss these things help people to make more informed views. Someone could be a skeptic and just need some more information and clarification, which other members can provide. A bunch of people all believing the same things on everything would be very boring and would end up being a very small group of people preaching to the choir.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

overloaded with skeptics and openly contradicting buddha's dhamma
I think this is a good thing to a point.
Eventually people have to have Saddha.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:56 pm
overloaded with skeptics and openly contradicting buddha's dhamma
I think this is a good thing to a point.
Eventually people have to have Saddha.
Sure, but we don't want to ban someone just because they haven't developed Saddha yet or prohibit them from expressing an opinion.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I would have thought that if sceptics and those openly contradicting the Buddha's dhamma turn up here on DW, then banning them will reinforce their scepticism and contradiction. They will go away with their prejudices confirmed. The same probably applies to personalising arguments with them, or using harsh speech to them.

If, however, they are treated with calm and reason, there's a chance that they might change their opinion. And we might learn something, too...
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

no i'm not saying no skepticism, i'm saying it is rife with undue skepticism and personal opinions. valuable answers to valuable questions get lost in pages and pages of people vomiting what immediately comes to their mind without referring to the dhamma-vinaya. actually i think a merit system like on other forums would be beneficial because truly on-topic posts could be upvoted and members who contribute valuably known as such. i was just having this discussion on facebook and i dont think the dhamma is entirely subjective. there are some things that are clear and indisputable just from a cursory reading. i still dont really see why we have topics about trump or football whatever without connecting it to the path
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught