Diversity among mods

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
mikenz66

Re: Diversity among mods

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:19 am

aflatun wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:01 am
What a great photo!
Thanks. I also like the picture of the naga a few posts later...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2730&start=60#p369744

:heart:
Mike

aflatun

Post by aflatun » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:21 am

DNS wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 am
I'm an AJNAE (Jew-North African-Arab-European).
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=30999#p452765

Does that count for diversity? :tongue:
Hah! I think what does count for diversity, of the kind I care about it anyway, is the variety of perspectives that moderators on this site bring to the table. You all have different orientations and that is a really good thing IMO. And I find you all quite tolerant as well. :thumbsup:
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16

aflatun

Post by aflatun » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:19 am
aflatun wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:01 am
What a great photo!
Thanks. I also like the picture of the naga a few posts later...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2730&start=60#p369744

:heart:
Mike
Nice!
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 am

binocular wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:33 pm
As far as diversity is concerned, what possibly could make a difference is if there would be more turnover among the moderators, ie. that someone could be a moderator only for a limited amount of time specified in advance.
It's a worthwhile idea, though I'm not sure how practical it would be. I used to be involved in the Quakers, and in that organisation Elders would be appointed to a particular role for a 3-year period, on the understanding that somebody else would take over the role over after the 3-year tenure. The problem is that for some roles, nobody else was willing to take over after the 3 year period. ;)

What would be useful is to recognise that moderation is a challenging role, and that people can get stale or jaded or tired over a period of time, perhaps needing a break.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

binocular

Post by binocular » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Dinsdale wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 am
It's a worthwhile idea, though I'm not sure how practical it would be.
They do this at some other forums. AFAIK, the sister forum, DharmaWheel, has such a system (although since that forum has many more active members than this one, it's probably easier to have such a system in place).
What would be useful is to recognise that moderation is a challenging role, and that people can get stale or jaded or tired over a period of time, perhaps needing a break.
What I would like to understand better is the role of a moderator in terms of the Dhamma. A moderator has administrative power; but is a moderator to be regarded as someone who also has superior Dhammic attainment (and can therefore adjudicate in matters of the Dhamma)?
Because it seems to me that for all practical intents and purposes, this is what it comes down to.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:00 pm

binocular wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm

What I would like to understand better is the role of a moderator in terms of the Dhamma. A moderator has administrative power; but is a moderator to be regarded as someone who also has superior Dhammic attainment (and can therefore adjudicate in matters of the Dhamma)?
Because it seems to me that for all practical intents and purposes, this is what it comes down to.
No. I think you would be completely unjustified in regarding someone as having superior "Dhammic attainment" on the basis of their being a moderator. I am no more capable of "adjudicating in matters of the Dhamma" than anyone else on the forum, nor is that part of the moderator's role, nor (as far as I know) has it ever been claimed to be part of the moderator's role here on DW.

bodom

Post by bodom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Here are my 2 cents.

A moderators role on any forum is to make sure the members are abiding by the terms of service. That's it. Done. End of story.

I do not have any superior Dhammic attainments or degrees from universities on the Buddhist Religon. I do not look at myself as if I am in some sort of powerful position. I am just another member like anyone else on here.

Off line I am a family man with a wife and kids, run a small landscaping business and try to practice the Buddhas teachings to the best of my abilities as a householder. I do not spend all day sitting in profound levels of concentration. My practice is the same as anyone else's on here. It is the basics: I try to keep the precepts, find time to meditate during the day and practice generosity and goodwill.

I think the whole suggestion of the mods here to use there real names and pictures is ridiculous. I am nobodies teacher. No one has to follow any advice I give. I simply try to share what I have learned in my own practice and through my studies of the suttas. People can take or leave what I have to say. I really don't understand any kind of fuss made over a moderator position.

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 pm

bodom wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:16 pm
Here are my 2 cents.

A moderators role on any forum is to make sure the members are abiding by the terms of service. That's it. Done. End of story.

I do not have any superior Dhammic attainments or degrees from universities on the Buddhist Religon. I do not look at myself as if I am in some sort of powerful position. I am just another member like anyone else on here.

Off line I am a family man with a wife and kids, run a small landscaping business and try to practice the Buddhas teachings to the best of my abilities as a householder. I do not spend all day sitting in profound levels of concentration. My practice is the same as anyone else's on here. It is the basics: I try to keep the precepts, find time to meditate during the day and practice generosity and goodwill.

I think the whole suggestion of the mods here to use there real names and pictures is ridiculous. I am nobodies teacher. No one has to follow any advice I give. I simply try to share what I have learned in my own practice and through my studies of the suttas. People can take or leave what I have to say. I really don't understand any kind of fuss made over a moderator position.

Hi bodom
My perception is that you are a great moderator because you are unobtrusive. I hardly notice you as being a moderator more just another contributor.

Circle5

Post by Circle5 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 pm

binocular wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm
Dinsdale wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 am
It's a worthwhile idea, though I'm not sure how practical it would be.
They do this at some other forums. AFAIK, the sister forum, DharmaWheel, has such a system (although since that forum has many more active members than this one, it's probably easier to have such a system in place).
Mahayana is a pretty guru-oriented religion. Idealizing religious figures is something that happens in all religions, but it's especially popular in mahayana. I've never seen on this forum things like creating a topic for a particular member where all others can post quotes from him and ego-tickle him for 5-10 pages. There isn't too much guru worshiping happening here.

Certainly being a mod makes one look more knowledgeable to a new member and that has an influence but it's something far away from being an online guru like some people at the sister forum are. When it comes to big gurus, it's normal for people to demand a picture so I totally agree with such policies being implemented on the sister forum in such instances. And besides, a big guru will naturally want to have his picture there cause that is something helpful for increasing his guru image.

bodom

Post by bodom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:43 pm

Thank you Mr man.

I can't take credit for that because I feel that is just a reflection of all of the great members as a whole here at DW. You guys make our jobs easier in that regard.

I think we have an awesome community here and have really great discussions. Of course there will always be some trouble makers from time to time but that is just the nature of any online community.

Dhamma Wheel and all the members mean a great deal to me and whatever I can do to give back I will.

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan

Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Dhamma Wheel is an Internet forum, it doesn't rule the world. Dare I say it, perhaps some folks should try and get out more? There's something a bit unhealthy about how much importance this is being given

perkele

Post by perkele » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Meezer77 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:14 pm
Dhamma Wheel is an Internet forum, it doesn't rule the world. Dare I say it, perhaps some folks should try and get out more?
Are you implying there exists a world beyond this forum?
Please provide some evidence for such bold metaphysical claims.
:alien:

perkele

Post by perkele » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:17 am

I found the original suggestion here actually quite good.

If I could nominate someone: I imagine No_Mind or Bundokji could make for good moderators. Not out of tokenism or something, but because I find them fitting personality-wise, and yeah, I imagine it would make for a more interesting mix. But in all honesty, who in their right mind would actually do such a job voluntarily?

Not that I have much to complain about the active admin/moderator team. But I do think diversity of background (including ethnicity) can be a very good thing.

It's the current year. Come on!

Re other arguments regarding positions of power and authority etc. and the usefulness of turnovers to counteract getting stuck in that: I actually think it is overwhelmingly a very good thing to have old and experienced moderators who have seen forums come and go, weathered conflicts and refined their skills in interacting with a whole lot of people and "groups" during those years, while trying their best to hone their fairness and judgment. But I do imagine there is a danger with getting too comfortable with one's achievements, after getting used too much to a group of familiar and similar-minded (to a certain, familiar degree) people, with too little challenges or checks and balances happening anymore "from within".

Of course I have no clear idea what those admins and mods are actually doing, agreeing and disagreeing on etc. to do their work. And I don't actually want to know much about it. Just adding my salt to the soup and stirring the stew… adding some beans. A bit of cheddar cheese. Mmmm... smells like the feet. :stirthepot:

:popcorn:

robertk

Post by robertk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:42 am

I actually think it is overwhelmingly a very good thing to have old and experienced moderators
Hey, less of the "OLD" :tongue:

Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:58 pm

perkele wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:00 pm

You still need to have a life, even if this existence is a dream within a dream 🙂

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:49 am

perkele wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:00 pm
:jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

xofz

Post by xofz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Perhaps we should all try to include our real-life names. I was hoping to be able to set my user title (not username -- the spot right below it) to my real name, but I had to settle on my signature. Pictures are optional, but I felt the need to include a body to my name and occasionally-schizophrenic posts. My avatar is a photo of me with my "aunt" (one of my mom's best friends).

As for who-moderates-what, I feel it would be nice to have more Bhikkhu moderators, for they know best about when to utilize their power.
My real life name is Sam.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm

The more honest and open we can be about ourselves, the more DW will feel - and act - like a real community, and I think that's good.
Real names can be problematic for some of us, though, perhaps for work-related reasons. What I would encourage is for everyone show their location - at least to state or country level. It helps us get a sense of where the other person is coming from in terms of (likely) life experiences and (likely) language skills.

Kim

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Kim OHara wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 pm
What I would encourage is for everyone show their location - at least to state or country level. It helps us get a sense of where the other person is coming from in terms of (likely) life experiences and (likely) language skills.

Kim
Good point. I've just amended my profile to include location.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:29 pm

I've updated my location, too!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/