What is size limit for attachments?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Will

What is size limit for attachments?

Postby Will » Tue May 16, 2017 3:31 pm

I tried one that was 5MB and that was too big.
A man should not judge a man, for he harms himself very quickly, that man who judges a man.
Only I or someone like me can assess a man. --- Buddha in the Surangamasamadhi Sutra

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: What is size limit for attachments?

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue May 16, 2017 3:47 pm

The limit seems to be 0.5 Mbytes: 517 Kbytes was too large.

Use the RIOT plugin for IrfanView to reduce images to the target size. JPG compresses well.

For other file types, compress them with 7-Zip (I attach a nice free font, compressed in 7z format.

Upload large files to DropBox and post a link, or use Filebin to share large files for a limited time.
Attachments
Mahakampa.7z
(151.53 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Will

Postby Will » Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The limit seems to be 0.5 Mbytes: 517 Kbytes was too large.

Use the RIOT plugin for IrfanView to reduce images to the target size. JPG compresses well.

For other file types, compress them with 7-Zip (I attach a nice free font, compressed in 7z format.

Upload large files to DropBox and post a link, or use Filebin to share large files for a limited time.

Good and useful advice Venerable, for a techie that is - an old Luddite like me remains in the past.
A man should not judge a man, for he harms himself very quickly, that man who judges a man.
Only I or someone like me can assess a man. --- Buddha in the Surangamasamadhi Sutra

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue May 16, 2017 4:22 pm

You may need to remove some attachments. ;)
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed May 17, 2017 7:16 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:You may need to remove some attachments. ;)

:clap:

:namaste:
Kim

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed May 17, 2017 7:24 am

Will wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The limit seems to be 0.5 Mbytes: 517 Kbytes was too large.

Good and useful advice Venerable, for a techie that is - an old Luddite like me remains in the past.

Most image viewers will let you change the image size and re-save the file at its smaller size. Around 600 pixels wide is big enough for most purposes here, and will become a file which is well under the upload limit.
Just make sure you save it with a new name or you will have lost your large original version! (I usually add an 's' for 'small' to the original name because that reminds me which one I'm working with.)

:namaste:
Kim

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 am

Kim OHara wrote:Most image viewers will let you change the image size and re-save the file at its smaller size. Around 600 pixels wide is big enough for most purposes here, and will become a file which is well under the upload limit.

True, but if you want to retain the highest quality image without reducing the resolution, the RIOT plugin will do that for you, using the highest possible JPG quality while remaining below the target size.
Attachments
Avatar 500.jpg (485.17 KiB) Viewed 118 times

Return to “Suggestion box”