Thumbs up button

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
R1111

Re: Thumbs up button

Post by R1111 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:54 am

It is not difficult to have a fruitful discussion between opposing views, to comment or give a teaching in a way moderated according to the Suttas. People have to beforehand agree upon definitions of key concepts and what is known as true and that which isnt, if the topic for discussion is one of the approved topics by the Buddha it is a good way to communicate and discuss/debate(can be said to be same thing in this context) the Dhamma. I would like to train in this way, the Supreme Teacher has said that in such discussion a person will be known as worth talking to or not. If people want to engage in a less formal or a more unwholesome discussion they should be free to do so but there should be a platform for people to make serious claims or engage in Right Discussion on a Theravada Dhamma forum, we have several Suttas with clear rules to enforce and guidelines to follow and it is all very well applicable to internet forum format.
IE if someone is promoting suspect view as right view or a troll, he may be quickly referred to the moderated format if he wanted to discuss it.

samseva

Post by samseva » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:20 pm

hahaha wrote:
Popularity wouldn't be an issue, but helping people out would be encouraged. Most importantly, it would be feedback to show people who take time out of their day and week to write posts to help people out. If you find out what you write helps people, it shows you are doing something worthwhile, and it motivates you the continue. On the contrary, not getting feedback (because people don't really give any or don't want to disrupt the conversation) results in not wanting to invest time in something which seems to not help anyone at all.
Ego rewards are a powerful and cheap motivation. But those who really are about helping others will do it without ego rewards.
It's not about "ego rewards." You barely read what I wrote. It's about getting feedback that what you are posting is helping people out, rather than that it seems like no one is reading your (well-written/well-thought out) posts.

A forum isn't face-to-face communication. There is no body language to base yourself on. When I find that someone got something out of what I wrote, I feel like the 15-30 minutes I took to write the post was worthwhile. Having no body language—or any form of feedback whatsoever for that matter—is demotivating to write more. At least, that is how I experience forums and other similar online interaction. This is the main reason why I closed my blog and participate less on forums (if no one is getting anything out of my posts—or even reading them—what is the point of taking the time to write them and post them in the first place).

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:47 pm

The moderator on the Vivaldi Forums deleted some posts to encourage a user with a lot of downvotes. This is by far the best way to reduce disruption - remove the offensive comments that caused it. Other forums often just lock threads, leaving all of the offensive comments, with no chance for anyone to refute the false allegations made. They then start new threads, and so it goes on.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:44 am

I strongly believe that adding a '+' or 'thumbs up' button would be very beneficial.

I hope that the moderators are considering adding this feature.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:32 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Other forums often just lock threads, leaving all of the offensive comments, with no chance for anyone to refute the false allegations made. They then start new threads, and so it goes on.
To my experience, this is the approach of the mods on our sister-forum, DharmaWheel, and I have similar critiques of that approach.
神足示現者,
世尊隨其所應,而示現入禪定正受,陵虛至東方,作四威儀,
行、住、坐、臥,入火三昧,出種種火光,青、黃、赤、白、
紅、頗梨色,水火俱現, 或身下出火,身上出水,身上出火,
身下出水,周圓四方亦復如是。

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:21 pm

The problem with up and down votes is that it creates the potential for a runaway positive feedback loop - which can go very well, if people treat it properly, or very badly, if they don't.

I think just like with announcements of attainments, we should let each person make their own judgement based on the outward behaviour of the subject. 'Reputation' tells you nothing but what others thought, and what they thought has no necessary correlation with fact.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun May 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Bill Maher says it brilliantly here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDqoTDM7tio

:twothumbsup: :oops:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun May 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Greetings,
Pseudobabble wrote:...we should let each person make their own judgement...
:thumbsup:

Well said. In these technologically-aided times of echo-chambers and groupthink, the skill of being able to independently make up your own mind on matters, and go against the grain where necessary, is vitally important to maintaining intellectual and spiritual autonomy.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine