Putting the shoes on to walk the Noble Path

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Mama

Putting the shoes on to walk the Noble Path

Post by Mama »

Greetings everyone.

Thank you for the welcome I have received here already and look forward to getting to know everyone a bit better.
Who am I? Apart from being the impermanent result of infinite conditions and circumstances...
I am a newcomer to Buddhism (so please be patient with me!). I grew up as a Christian and really only discovered Buddhism while listening to a radio show in which someone mentioned that all suffering is caused by cravings and if you release the craving then you ease the suffering. At the time I was going through a very painful divorce and I realised that I was causing myself pain by my expectations of other people and how I thought my life 'should' be. I felt a great sense of relief and decided to find out a bit more about this.
So I have put on my shoes and am ready to walk the Noble Path. I had always dreampt of having a large, happy, laughter-filled family and though I have come to terms with the end of my marriage, I am still reflecting on this dream being lost too.
Please forgive me if my questions and posts seem simplistic to experienced practitioners, but we must all start somewhere!

With respect and humility
Reductor

Re: Putting the shoes on to walk the Noble Path

Post by Reductor »

Hiya mama and welcome.

Few things are as painfyl as a dream dashed. In time you'll recover fully.

In the case of dhamma the only progress is step by step, or question by question. So fire away.
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

:goodpost: Well said thereductor.

Welcome here Mama :hello:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Mama

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome Mama!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
plwk

Post by plwk »

Yo mama :hello:
Please forgive me if my questions and posts seem simplistic to experienced practitioners but we must all start somewhere!
There's something they say about being an experienced practitioner....oh ya I read it's humility.
True, even the Buddha had His beginning... so I wish you the best in here :anjali:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Mama,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

You might be interested to know, that many people arrive at Buddhism in a similar way to what you have. A sample of different stories are here...

How do (or did) you become a buddhist?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Welcome, may you find great peace :)