Hello from The Netherlands

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Ytrog

Hello from The Netherlands

Post by Ytrog »

I'm Ytrog (A.K.A. Hans) and I'm trying to practice the dhamma. I'm not completely new at this , but I've had problems keeping myself motivated at times. I've been practicing on-and-off for about 4 years (though thankfully mostly on). Where I live there is absolutely no sangha, so I had to do everything alone and with the help of books and the internet. the latter not only texts, but also dhamma-talks on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.youtube.com/user/dhammatube" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for who's interested).
I decided some time ago that It's near impossible to practice properly without support from some form of community, because it is difficult for me to keep my spirit up, and thus I had to find one. :group:
Of course support is meant to be both ways ;)

I want to go on a retreat btw and I'm thinking of doing that in the UK. Cittaviveka and Amaravati are currently on my shortlist. Has anyone has been there? If yes, what are your experiences?

For people who find my nickname strange: It's the name of a D&D character of mine and I use it a lot online.

With metta
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
bodom

Re: Hello from The Netherlands

Post by bodom »

Welcome Hans!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

Welcome Hans.

I am in a similar situation, there no theravada center nearby so I resort to on-line resources. I wish you a great success in your path.
With Metta
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Hans,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:buddha2:

I am another who through circumstances of geography and family find myself devoid of direct contact with the Sangha. Hopefully you'll find Dhamma Wheel as beneficial as I have.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Hans and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
wouter_doorn

Post by wouter_doorn »

hallo hans!

Welkom op het Theravada forum, leuk een andere Nederlander hier te zien. Trouwens, er zijn toch best wat meditatie/studie groepen in Nederland?

Groetjes,

Wouter
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Thanks for those kind replies :D
Trouwens, er zijn toch best wat meditatie/studie groepen in Nederland?
There are, though almost none near Arnhem. http://boeddhisme.nl/meditatiegroepen/p ... rland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Welcome Ytrog, welcome.

I'm very certain you are in good company here, as many of us are far from a flesh and blood sangha.

As for the two places on your short list, I do believe the Manapa is currently at one, but has recently spent a lot of time at both. (http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... lit=Manapa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Perhaps you can PM him?
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

I'll do that, thanks :)
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu

Post by Khemadhammo Bhikkhu »

Hello Hans,

Welcome to the forum! I am also from the Netherlands. Ordained as a monk in Thailand though.

Groeten in de Dhamma,

Khemadhammo Bhikkhu (Phra Sander).
He stopped and called out to the Blessed One: "Stop, recluse! Stop, recluse!"
"I have stopped, Angulimāla, you stop too."
(M ii.100)
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

How was it to ordain? It seems to me like a brave thing to do. How did your family and friends react?

I also seems difficult to me to arrange to leave all the things behind, both practically (do you give everything you have away or something?) and mentally.
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu

Ytrog wrote:How was it to ordain? It seems to me like a brave thing to do. How did your family and friends react?

I also seems difficult to me to arrange to leave all the things behind, both practically (do you give everything you have away or something?) and mentally.
I slowly grew into it. I was a volunteer at the wats in Europe first during my university years, then later stayed at the wat here in Thailand as a attendant to the monks. Then later on I decided to become a monk. My parents had a hard time in the beginning, but they are okay with it now. My mother also grew more interested in the Dhamma as a result.

I am glad to hear from you, Ytrog. I don't often hear much from the Netherlands, our "kikkerlandje". It seems that the Dutch are mostly interested in Tibetan and Vietnamese Buddhism, though there are number of Theravādin initiatives around.

Good luck in finding a good place to practice!

In de Dhamma,

Khemadhammo Bhikkhu.
(M ii.100)
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

It's true that most Dutch Buddhists are either following Tibetan or one of the other Mahayana traditions. I believe most Theravādins here are Thai immigrants or descendants of them.
Khemadhammo Bhikkhu

Ytrog, from what place close to Arnhem are you? I used to study in Nijmegen before I ordained.

Khemadhammo Bhikkhu.
(M ii.100)
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Zevenaar :)

What did you study?