Hello - new here and to Buddhism

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
lovemygreys

Hello - new here and to Buddhism

Post by lovemygreys »

Hello all...I live in SC with my husband and 18 retired racing greyhounds (and a staghound). My husband has been a Buddhist for many years, well before we met and married 6 years ago. I was raised with no particular faith other than Protestant that went to church a few times a year for the "important" Christian holidays. I had a "crisis of faith" in my 20s and explored many various religions (though, for some reason, Buddhism never entered on to my radar). After a lot of soul searching, I settled back down as Christian that never really went to church. I did a lot of reading, praying, etc on my own.

Marrying my husband sparked a re-newed interest in my faith but over the years I have found less and less comfort and peace in it. Earlier this year I started reading and learning about Buddhism on my own (vs just the general discussions/debates with my husband over the years) and have found tremendous peace and personal growth in just a short time period that I've been learning and practicing.

Thank you very much for this forum and I'm very much looking forward to expanding my knowledge with all you share here. I've already spent a couple days reading various threads. I'm not sure I will have very much to contribute as a novice, but I will where I feel it's appropriate.
Heather and the hounds
bodom

Re: Hello - new here and to Buddhism

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi lovemygreys and welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
From another keeper of retired greyhounds!
I'm looking forward to getting to know you and please feel free to contribute.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Welcome!

We currently have my daughter's rescued hounds here with our rescued Border Collie.

Here's hoping you find Dhamma Wheel to be as helpful as I have.

:hello: Jim
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
shjohnk

Post by shjohnk »

Welcome! This is a great site and I'm sure you'll gain a lot from it. My lack of knowledge doesn't stop me contributing. Everyone's Dhamma journey is different and sharing your own experiences can encourage others. say 'hi' to your dogs for me!

John
lovemygreys

Post by lovemygreys »

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone :)

Ben, it's always nice to meet another greyhound fancier...
Heather and the hounds
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Welcome Love!

Offtopic, but is greyhound racing gaining or losing or staying the same in popularity? Also, are whippets used for racing?
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
lovemygreys

Post by lovemygreys »

Will wrote:Welcome Love!

Offtopic, but is greyhound racing gaining or losing or staying the same in popularity? Also are whippets used for racing?
Greyhound racing has taken a steady dive in popularity for many years now and I don't see it changing. There is a lot of competition for the gambling dollar and most bettors seem to prefer slots to dogs. There have been tracks closing every year for the last several years and a steady decline in breedings.

Whippets in the US are used only for amateur racing (actually all sighthounds, even retired professional racing greyhounds, can participate). These are competitions for ribbons and titles (and mostly just fun!), not for money or wagering.
Heather and the hounds
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Excellent news Love. I just checked and there are still around 50 functioning dog racing tracks in the USA. Perhaps a silver lining to the present financial crisis is that there are few dollars to play the dogs with and that will speed up the demise of more tracks.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.