Howdy

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
davcuts

Howdy

Post by davcuts »

I'm new here. I recognize a great many of you from e-Sangha. I have only studied Tibetan Buddhism, and would like to know more about Theravada. If anyone has any good "Introduction to Theravada Buddhism", books I'd much appreciate it. Also who or what is Buddhaghosa? Sorry I read it on another thread and I don't know who or what it is. Anyway it's great to be here.

Thanks,
davcuts, aka as Dave
retrofuturist

Re: Howdy

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings davcuts,

Excellent to see you here.

Buddhaghosa was a Sri Lankan commentator who collated, compiled and contribute to the Theravada commentarial tradition, approximately 1000 years after the Buddha.

As for introductions to Theravada Buddhism, check out the pinned Introductory Resources thread in the Discovering Theravada forum.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings davcuts,

Excellent to see you here.

Buddhaghosa was a Sri Lankan commentator who collated, compiled and contribute to the Theravada commentarial tradition, approximately 1000 years after the Buddha.

As for introductions to Theravada Buddhism, check out the pinned Introductory Resources thread in the Discovering Theravada forum.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Thanks Retro, if I had taken the time to look through all the threads before posting I would have found this thread: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See I'm already learning. And get this I learned that Zen is not Theravada Buddhism. Wow who knew? Probably everybody but me :cry:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi davcuts :hello:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Davcuts,

Thanks for joining us. :smile:

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

:hello:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

Thanks everyone for your kind welcome. I feel like I can ask questions here without being ridiculed. It's not the same at other groups. There you feel like you'll get a good scolding, maybe banning, if you say something out of line. Here it seems if you treat others with will respect, you'll get respect.

:bow: :bow: :bow:
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Hi Dave :toast:
dumb bonbu

Post by dumb bonbu »

hi dave, in the same shoes as regards being new to Therevada. i'm finding In The Buddha's Words a great book to start with :twothumbsup:
Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding.
MN 21
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

Hi back at ya Drolma! It's good to see you here. :hug:

Thanks for the book recommendation dumb bonbu! I need all the help I can get. I have been wanting to look into Theravada for some time, but felt it was too complicated. It's good to know I'm not the only newbie to Theravada.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Nice to meet you.

;)
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Jesse Smith

Post by Jesse Smith »

davcuts wrote:Hi back at ya Drolma! It's good to see you here. :hug:

Thanks for the book recommendation dumb bonbu! I need all the help I can get. I have been wanting to look into Theravada for some time, but felt it was too complicated. It's good to know I'm not the only newbie to Theravada.
Welcome davcuts,

I've found Theravada to be uncomplicated, not easy, but uncomplicated. Maybe choosing a path or spiritual belief is like choosing a wife. You can choose the sexy, high maintenance girl you can't quite trust, just for the excitement or the trophy value. Or you can choose the simple good cook with healthy, child-bearing hips. ;)
davcuts

Post by davcuts »

It's nice to meet you as well Tex. 8-)

Jesse what I find complicated is some of the terms used. Maybe a good Theravada dictionary would help me along. :lol:
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

davcuts wrote:It's nice to meet you as well Tex. 8-)

Jesse what I find complicated is some of the terms used. Maybe a good Theravada dictionary would help me along. :lol:
Me too! :hug:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ead#unread