Greets

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Stephen

Greets

Post by Stephen »

Greetings and salutations! My first name is Stephen and I'm still rather new to Buddhism. I've studied the teachings off-and-on for only a year or two. This is the second Buddhist forum that I've visitied. I've been hanging around a forum for new Buddhists since January, shortly after I came to direct realization of Impermanence, Selflessness and Dependent Arising. I started out asking questions but found that before long I was also able to impart some knowledge to those in need.

I'm not specifically Theravadin, and I'm not a monk. I do consider the Tipitaka / Pali Canon to be the best source I've found so far for authentic Dhamma though. I would rather accept the totality of all Buddhist teachings, of all schools, and keep all of these teachings in mind until direct experience / realization makes clear that which is true and that which is not. I hope that I am welcome on your forum even though I do not label myself as part of any particular school.

I am probably better suited to responding to questions concerning the Theravada tradition than any other school because of my preference for the Tipitaka. I had some initial aversion to Mahayana because I felt it was much too culture-driven, so most of my studying has been of the Tipitaka. I've moved beyond that aversion and can view the different schools with equanimity, but I hope you don't hold that against me. ;)

I started the first Buddhist-specific free e-mail service on the 'net (to my knowedge), http://www.BodhiBox.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested, but it's there and it's free; powered by Google Mail (Gmail).

I continue to practice and hope to progress further before too long, but until I've left the householder life and I still have internet, I see no reason not to help out wherever I can.
The "self", which is a construct of the mind, is non-self. It is not us, and we are not it. This self blinds us to reality; it is our Mara, our Satan, our Hades. Cast it out and behold the path to freedom.
(Visit http://www.BodhiBox.com for a free Buddhist e-mail account, while you're still attached to the 'net...)
retrofuturist

Re: Greets

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Stephen,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Stephen
Nice intro!
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
I hope you feel at home here.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Hi namesake! Welcome to DW.

:anjali:
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Thank you all.
The "self", which is a construct of the mind, is non-self. It is not us, and we are not it. This self blinds us to reality; it is our Mara, our Satan, our Hades. Cast it out and behold the path to freedom.
(Visit http://www.BodhiBox.com for a free Buddhist e-mail account, while you're still attached to the 'net...)