New Member, Glad to Join

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
PassingKilesa

New Member, Glad to Join

Post by PassingKilesa »

Hello everyone, my name is Logan Brown. I've spent my fair share of time on the Buddhism subreddits and have decided I'd like to join an online community where discussion may deepen and explore the areas of practice with which I've become familiar.

I have been very interested in the Thai Ajahns (especially Chah and his disciples Amaro and Sumedho) for the past couple years and just recently read Concept and Reality, The Magic of the Mind, and the 32 part sermon on Nibbana by Kaṭukurunde Ñāṇananda Maha Thera. The latter really opened my mind to the depth to which this beautiful practice can go and I hope to explore similar concepts while developing Right View on this forum with like-minded folks.

Thanks for having me! :)

Ceisiwr

Re: New Member, Glad to Join

Post by Ceisiwr »

Welcome. Do check out Ven. Nanananda’s book on dependent origination and his book on meditation (Seeing Through) if you like his work and get the chance.
“For that is false, bhikkhu, which has a deceptive nature, and that is true which has an undeceptive nature—Nibbāna. Therefore a bhikkhu possessing this truth possesses the supreme foundation of truth. For this, bhikkhu, is the supreme noble truth, namely, Nibbāna, which has an undeceptive nature.” MN 140

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

Ceisiwr wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:09 pm
Welcome. Do check out Ven. Nanananda’s book on dependent origination and his book on meditation (Seeing Through) if you like his work and get the chance.
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... ev_1.0.pdf
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Nice to hear that Nanananda's works are known outside of this forum. :lol: They are discussed quite a bit here, and I'm never too sure whether that's just because his works have a growing appeal, or whether its a localised thing.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:48 am
Nice to hear that Nanananda's works are known outside of this forum. :lol: They are discussed quite a bit here, and I'm never too sure whether that's just because his works have a growing appeal, or whether its a localised thing.
Perhaps the Barre Centre hosting Bhikkhu Analayo's three-year courseon the Nibbana Sermons has widened the audience:
https://buddhistinquiry.org/resources/o ... s-analayo/

:heart:
Mike

bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is so simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice.

Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.

Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this-just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle.

- Ajahn Chah

PassingKilesa

Post by PassingKilesa »

Ceisiwr wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:09 pm
I definitely will! Thanks for the suggestion.

PassingKilesa

Post by PassingKilesa »

retrofuturist wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:48 am
Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)

It's funny you mention that as I had a difficult time finding any online discussion of his work until I found this forum :tongue: I was glad to see a few long threads talking about things such as his novel view on Nama-Rupa etc. Thanks for the warm welcome!