New Member Cato (Robert)

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Cato

New Member Cato (Robert)

Post by Cato »

Greetings, and may all be well... My user name is Cato... but my first name is Robert or "Rob". Just found out about this forum. I'm a 68 year old retired Canadian. A few years ago I went for Refuge in the Triple Gem and accepted the Five Precepts at a Khmer Krom Theravada Buddhist temple here in Canada. It's supported by Vietnamese and Cambodian and Thai and Laotian people living here in Canada.
My interests include Astronomy, History, Geology, Buddhism (of course), Travel.
I''ve been over much of North America, and spent four months in Chiang Mai, Thailand and the surrounding region in 2013, and then in 2017 two months in Siem Reap, Cambodia and the surrounding region, and four days in Bangkok, Thailand. Much of my time was spent at temples.
In March of 2019 I was supposed to be flying back to Asia, but had to cancel my flight because I ended up having quadrupl cardiac bypass surgery.. (CABG x 4) Hoping to fly back to Asia this year, and doing the Buddhist Pilgrimage is one of my goals. Lumbini, Bodh Gaya, Sarnath and Kushinigar with possibly a few other secondary Buddhist pilgrimage sites as well. Then to Sri Lanka.. and back to Cambodia. Perhaps I will live out the rest of my life there, and have a Theravada Buddhist funeral when I time is up.
I have much to learn, and not a lot of years left to learn it in.... and I'm ready to learn from the members here.
Thank you.. and Blessings..... Rob :anjali: :anjali: :anjali: :buddha2:

SDC

Re: New Member Cato (Robert)

Post by SDC »

That is some journey, Rob, glad you made it!

Welcome to DW!

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

Welcome Robert! :namaste:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Robert,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

and doing the Buddhist Pilgrimage is one of my goals. Lumbini, Bodh Gaya, Sarnath and Kushinigar with possibly a few other secondary Buddhist pilgrimage sites as well. Then to Sri Lanka.. and back to Cambodia.
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
Perhaps you may be interest to read my topic on Buddhagaya pilgrimage.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=35398&p=529216&hilit=
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is so simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice.

Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.

Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this-just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle.

- Ajahn Chah

lavantien

Post by lavantien »

Welcome,

As per your bio old age, sickness and death are imminent. Hopefully you will achieve the safety of the Path as soon as possible - gain unshakable experiential confident in the Buddha, his teaching and his noble disciples, have spotless ethical conducts that appeal to the wises.
"Then the Teacher, being sympathetic, and having compassion for the whole world,
said to me, “Come, monk!” That was my ordination.
Staying alone in the wilderness, meditating tirelessly,
I have completed what the Teacher taught, just as the victor advised me.

In the first watch of the night, I recollected my past lives.
In the middle watch of the night, I purified my clairvoyance.
In the last watch of the night, I shattered the mass of darkness."
- KN Thag 12.2

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Cato wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:14 pm
Greetings, and may all be well... My user name is Cato... but my first name is Robert or "Rob". Just found out about this forum. I'm a 68 year old retired Canadian. A few years ago I went for Refuge in the Triple Gem and accepted the Five Precepts at a Khmer Krom Theravada Buddhist temple here in Canada. It's supported by Vietnamese and Cambodian and Thai and Laotian people living here in Canada.
My interests include Astronomy, History, Geology, Buddhism (of course), Travel.
I''ve been over much of North America, and spent four months in Chiang Mai, Thailand and the surrounding region in 2013, and then in 2017 two months in Siem Reap, Cambodia and the surrounding region, and four days in Bangkok, Thailand. Much of my time was spent at temples.
In March of 2019 I was supposed to be flying back to Asia, but had to cancel my flight because I ended up having quadrupl cardiac bypass surgery.. (CABG x 4) Hoping to fly back to Asia this year, and doing the Buddhist Pilgrimage is one of my goals. Lumbini, Bodh Gaya, Sarnath and Kushinigar with possibly a few other secondary Buddhist pilgrimage sites as well. Then to Sri Lanka.. and back to Cambodia. Perhaps I will live out the rest of my life there, and have a Theravada Buddhist funeral when I time is up.
I have much to learn, and not a lot of years left to learn it in.... and I'm ready to learn from the members here.
Thank you.. and Blessings..... Rob :anjali: :anjali: :anjali: :buddha2:
Hi Robert. Welcome to the sangha of noble ones. You are safe as you took 5 percepts and go higher and higher as u wish .
Find a tree and practice jhana or dont regret later- Buddha
Something exist, dont exist, both exist and non exist, neither exist nor dont exist .. all these four possibilities are wrong- Nagarjuna
Find a dhamma companion or roam alone like rhinoceros in the wild- Buddha
If you are not happy even after following 8NP then you are doing it wrong- CL (confused layman)

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Welcome, Rob :hello: