More Dhamma!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
jamescarr

More Dhamma!

Post by jamescarr » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Hey all,

My name is James and I'm glad to find this forum to delve deeper into my meditation practice and Buddhist studies. While I've been aware of Buddhism for many years (I've attended a Cambodian Buddhist Wat here in Missouri with my wife) I really didn't get familiar with it intimately until I volunteered to spend three days as a monk for my father-in-law's funeral. I blogged about this experience as well, https://blog.james-carr.org/three-days- ... 34ad135268.

After reading the Dhammapada I was hooked and from there went on to read various texts and now have a small library of Buddhism texts. I read the Middle Length Discourses as a daily practice and continue to study it deeply with a group that meets once a month and covers only one or two sutras at a time. In my daily practice I'm working my way through the Connected Discourses and also read selections from The Way of the Bodhisattva. I also enjoy reading Mahayana texts, especially the Pranjaparamita Sutras.

I try to maintain a daily meditation practice but lately I kind of been skipping the sit and opting for a daily walk instead. I haven't been on a meditation retreat but looking forward to going on one.

As a family man, the monastic life is not something I'll be entering into in the near future so I'm interested in what one can do as a lay practitioner to help bring liberation to all beings. Oh and to continue studying the dhamma deeper.

With Metta,
James

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: More Dhamma!

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:23 pm

Greetings James,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:56 am

Welcome to DW!

jamescarr wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 pm
I really didn't get familiar with it intimately until I volunteered to spend three days as a monk for my father-in-law's funeral. I blogged about this experience as well, https://blog.james-carr.org/three-days- ... 34ad135268.
Excellent! Good job. :thumbsup:

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:40 am

. I blogged about this experience as well, https://blog.james-carr.org/three-days- ... 34ad135268.
Wonderful!!!
Thank you for sharing.
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”