Greetings

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
unseeingdog

Greetings

Post by unseeingdog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:59 am

Hello everyone,

I am a relatively new practitioner, started practicing meditation almost 2 years ago with the book Mindfulness in Plain English by Ven. H Gunaratana, and have been practicing very seriously since the beginning of this year. I'm in my late teens and am from Central America.
I exclusively follow the Theravada tradition, but am still open-minded towards others. Of special interest to me are the teachings of Ajahn Chah (and few other Thai forest monks), Ven. Ñanavira and Ven. N. Nanamoli. I have been browsing the forum for a few weeks now but didn't think of introducing myself until now, sorry if that was rude!

Best wishes to everyone on their practice and I hope to be able to participate in interesting discussions in the future. :twothumbsup:
Engagement is death, results in death, implies death. It makes you liable to death. Literally, you wouldn't be killed if somebody comes and shoots you in the head.
That's [in itself] not death. Death is sending your mind back down the rabbit hole of the senses. That's how you get killed. Because if you take your mind away from the senses—you surmount sensuality—even if somebody comes and shoots you in the head, "you" are not killed.

Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
Guided Contemplation on Awareness

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Greetings

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:45 am

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:07 am

Welcome to DW!

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:48 am

Welcome.

:anjali: Kevin
The Hunger Site

bodom

Post by bodom » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 pm

Welcome!

:anjali:
The heart of the path is so simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice.

Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.

Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this-just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle.

- Ajahn Chah

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Welcome friend! :anjali:

budo

Post by budo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:17 pm

unseeingdog wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:59 am
started practicing meditation almost 2 years ago with the book Mindfulness in Plain English by Ven. H Gunaratana,
I also started with that book. Great book!

Welcome