Hello friends!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Sam Vega

Hello friends!

Post by Sam Vega »

Hello friends,

I'm long time lurker and thought I'd join in on the conversations that have helped me so so much. I have aspirations to contribute meaningfully to those and more.

A quick blurb about me: Born into a secular family in an Islamic society, to an atheist father, and agnostic mother who dabbled in Tibetan buddhism for a year or so when I was a teen. I grew up fairly faith-free and secular thanks to the conditions of my birth. I indulged in copious amounts of sensuality and aversion/anger in my younger life, until it started to become clear that such things only led to perpetual misery. I tried to break free but w/o success, until one day I spoke using extremely harsh speech to my father. Immediately afterwards I felt like I had swallowed hot coals - such was my anger and remorse. I knew I had to vanquish anger, no matter what. Researching anger and speech led me to reading about the precepts (on wikipedia of all places!) about 5-6 years back. Since then I became absolutely hooked to the Dhamma, as I kept on reading more and more. An unrelated chain of events in life had brought me to the DC/Maryland/Virginia area, and after some digging I found that Bhante Gunaratana's forest monastery was only a couple hours drive away, and the rest is history :smile:

My primary teachers are Bhante G. and the monastic Sangha at Bhavana Society, and Bhante Rahula, who recently returned back to the Maryland area to be the head teacher at a meditation center (Lion of Wisdom) affiliated with the DC Buddhist Vihara and Bhavana Society. I was just at Bhavana recently where I fulfilled a long time aspiration of taking the Lifetime precepts.

I am of an intellectual bent and throughly enjoy nerding out over the Dhamma. I hope to bring something of value to this community.

Mangalam,

Sam Vega
Dan74-MkII

Re: Hello friends!

Post by Dan74-MkII »

Welcome, Sam Vega! :hello:

I could've sworn that we already have a member with the same name but it must be similar.

Bhante G. is amazing and an inspiration to many. I guess you are fortunate to live in proximity.

Looking forward to reading your posts and exchanging on this path!

_/|\_
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dan74-MkII wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm I could've sworn that we already have a member with the same name but it must be similar.
You might be thinking of samseva (pali for companionship) which sounds similar; a member here with over 2,000 posts.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Dan74-MkII

Post by Dan74-MkII »

DNS wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 pm
Dan74-MkII wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm I could've sworn that we already have a member with the same name but it must be similar.
You might be thinking of samseva (pali for companionship) which sounds similar; a member here with over 2,000 posts.
I might've been ( there is also Sam Vara), but just had a quick look and we do have a member called samvega, though he hasn't been active for some years:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1141
Last edited by Dan74-MkII on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Wasn't there a moderator called Sam Vara? I dunno.
Hi and welcome to the circus!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Welcome to DW, Sam Vega! :namaste:

(For those asking, I started off as Sam Vega, but quickly changed it to Sam Vara when I found there was an existing member called samvega. He hasn't posted for a long time, so I don't think there's any risk of confusion...)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Welcome :group:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sam Vega

Post by Sam Vega »

Thank you for the warm welcome!