Introduce Ivy

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Ivy Piyen

Introduce Ivy

Post by Ivy Piyen »

Hello

Glad to make an account and join this vibrant community of learned Buddhism.

I am a heterosexual cisgender non-non-binary male of caucasian and asian origin.

Not a fan of the new age philosophical types like Osho, Nanavira and Nyanananda who say a lot but don't make a lot of sense and prefer studying the Sutta with Dhamma and Vinaya as my teacher. I watched the Nibbana sermons and to make sense of it but found it to be a waste of time, was it just me? Perhaps someone can explain it to me on this forums. I am also not a fan of Thich Hanh Nhat as i heard he said trees have consciousness, i don't read Sutra i think it is counterfeit Dhamma.

Ivy Pien
Metta,
:hug:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Introduce Ivy

Post by Sam Vara »

Greetings, and welcome to Dhamma Wheel! :hello:
budo

Post by budo »

Welcome!
Ivy Piyen wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm I am also not a fan of Thich Hanh Nhat as i heard he said trees have consciousness, i don't read Sutra i think it is counterfeit Dhamma.
Maybe he (or mahayanists) have confused what The Buddha said, when he said if trees could hear and discern the dhamma, they'd become sotapannas, in regards to Sarakani who was an alcoholic but attained sotapanna before death.

""Why, Mahaanaama, if these great sal trees could distinguish what is well spoken from what is ill spoken, I would proclaim these great sal trees to be Stream-Winners... bound for enlightenment, how much more so then Sarakaani the Sakyan! Mahaanaama, Sarakaani the Sakyan fulfilled the training at the time of death.'[8]"

-SN 55.24
Ivy Piyen

Post by Ivy Piyen »

budo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 pm Welcome!
Ivy Piyen wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm I am also not a fan of Thich Hanh Nhat as i heard he said trees have consciousness, i don't read Sutra i think it is counterfeit Dhamma.
Maybe he (or mahayanist) have confused The Buddha when he said if trees could hear and discern the dhamma, they'd become sotapannas, in regards to Sarakani who was an alcoholic but attained sotapanna before death.

""Why, Mahaanaama, if these great sal trees could distinguish what is well spoken from what is ill spoken, I would proclaim these great sal trees to be Stream-Winners... bound for enlightenment, how much more so then Sarakaani the Sakyan! Mahaanaama, Sarakaani the Sakyan fulfilled the training at the time of death.'[8]"

-SN 55.24
i think he said that we all have been trees in past lifes but don't take my word for it.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Ivy Piyen wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm I am a heterosexual cisgender non-non-binary male of caucasian and asian origin.
Hello! I also like to have sex with women only, and also hold traditional views on my male gender. And I'm partly white too, like you. But i don't know what non-non-binary means.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Ivy Piyen

Post by Ivy Piyen »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:05 am
Ivy Piyen wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm I am a heterosexual cisgender non-non-binary male of caucasian and asian origin.
Hello! I also like to have sex with women only, and also hold traditional views on my male gender. And I'm partly white too, like you. But i don't know what non-non-binary means.
Hi James,
it is having only one gender whereas some people are bi/tri/pan or otherwise genderqueer
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

I'm not sure how you could have not understood anything that ven ñāṇananda says if you can understand the suttas. He references them thoroughly and frequently. Perhaps you could share a particular passage you had trouble with.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested