New to Theravada

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
CosmicVoyager

New to Theravada

Post by CosmicVoyager »

Hello all,

I am another new member to the site. I have studied Tibetan Buddhism since 2002 and have had quite an active involvement in the organisation I am part of. Unfortunately, our sangha is currently going through some revelations of sexual harm within the community regarding our lineage holder. This has raised a number of questions for me about Vajrayana Buddhism and whether this is the right path for me.

I have felt really inspired to connect with the the teachings of the tradition of Early Buddhism and try to look more directly about what the Buddha actually taught and meditation practices that were used at that time. I am particularly interested in the Forest tradition and also the use of jhana for insight.

I must say I am really really impressed with this website. The wealth of free material available for study is quite a gift. I'm currently reading In the Buddha's Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi. Once I finish that I intend to study the lecture series and the book he has written on the Majjihma nikaya. I've also seen the study resources on the Abbidhamma which I intend to look at.

I look forward to engaging with you all.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: New to Theravada

Post by Sam Vara »

Hello, CosmicVoyager, and welcome to Dhamma Wheel! :anjali:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

paul

Post by paul »

CosmicVoyager wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:47 pm ...what the Buddha actually taught and meditation practices that were used at that time. I am particularly interested in the Forest tradition and also the use of jhana for insight.
Welcome to DW.
You have made a wise decision, the problems in Tibetan buddhism are not confined to one individual and confirm that the weakness is in the doctrine, which apparently doesn't put enough emphasis on the body as a foundation of mindfulness. But you must also beware on this site, as sometimes there is a tendency to excessive mental or "cosmic" orientation with anatta in isolation (and not as a result of impermanence) and dependent origination. So avoid the abhidhamma at an early stage and concentrate on sutta study. Finally Theravada always, even for arahants, maintains a duality between nibbana and samsara.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Welcome.
I'm currently reading In the Buddha's Words by Bhikkhu Bodhi.
Excellent choice! :)
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."