Hello, new member

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
thearm

Hello, new member

Post by thearm »

Hello :)

My name is Aodhan and I am a fairly new Buddhist. I became a Buddhist in November (immediately into Theravāda). I started meditating at a Dhammakaya temple and their Buddhist practises (aside from the meditation, that is) really resonated with me, so I decided to go for it. And I've been so at peace and fulfilled ever since.

I came from being an anti-theist before. Meditation and Buddhism helped me come from a high dose of an extremely addictive and potent anxiety medication that caused a kind of retrograde amnesia to being able to come off of it as of July 3 of this year (from November). I also used to have problems combining drugs with alcohol while on this anxiety medication which could also have been potentially lethal and also abusing hallucinogens, another dumb problem as I have a severe mental illness, but it's been since November that I've used anything other than the anxiety drug.

Since becoming a Buddhist and starting intensely meditating and chanting, I've noticed great strides in reducing anxiety, stress, depression, reaction times, recovering my ability to remember things, everything, really.

I think that this is exactly the sort of resource I've been hoping to find, as most of what my friends from the temple know (and the monks) is in Thai still.
retrofuturist

Re: Hello, new member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Thearm,

Welcome to the Forum!

It can be an interesting challenge when you have a strong community, but a lack of English resources. But it is something I found very worthwhile.

For some basic reading I'd recommend Bhikkhu Bodhi's selection of suttas, which you can read on-line here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14640

:heart:
Mike
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
Hopefully, you may help many with your personal experience.
:anjali:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DC2R

Post by DC2R »

Aodhan,

It is nice to hear that the Buddhist practice has helped improve your health.

Welcome to the forum.