New to Buddhism...stuck in the Bible Belt

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Manopubbangama

Re: New to Buddhism...stuck in the Bible Belt

Post by Manopubbangama »

Butrfly_Nirvana wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:30 pm Thank you! I've been studying and learning more every day, and I feel like a different person already!

Basically, around this town if you aren't Christian they will do 1 of 2 things towards you: 1. Constantly try to convince you of their beliefs being the only way to go, or 2. Completely shun you and your family to the point that they don't even acknowledge you when you are out and about. :shrug: Seems sort of hypocritical to me... But to each their own... ?

Anyways, my personal life is just so much more fulfilling and positive, regardless of how others want to treat me!

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
Not hypocritical - consistent with Biblical view: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV
docwood1997

Re: New to Buddhism...stuck in the Bible Belt

Post by docwood1997 »

Hi, and welcome!

Another Bible Belter here--raised in North Carolina, almost 40 years in Georgia.

There are lots of Buddhists here in the Atlanta Metro area, but few Theravadins, or if there are I can't find them. There are Zen practitioners, Tibetans, and non-sectarians galore. The few Theravada communities are (a) one-and-a-half-hour round-trip drives from me and (b) not English-speakers. Sigh.

I am thinking of, if I can't hook up with an existing group soon, starting one of my own. Maybe you could, too. In the meantime, this on-line community and a reading group on line serve as my sangha.

I have not had much trouble with other faiths pushing their religion on me: They are more practiced in dealing with Judaism, Islam, agnosticism, and atheism. The Buddhism kinda stops 'em cold.

May you be well, and happy.

:anjali:

Ginny