New Member (From Ireland)

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
FCIM

New Member (From Ireland)

Post by FCIM »

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Buddhism but I have been following it for the last two to three months. I meditate daily and try to take on board the Buddha's teachings. I am particularly interested in discussing Buddhism and finding out more from more experienced practitioners of the Dhamma. I would also like to formally become Buddhist and the Theravāda path is the one which appeals most to me.

I live quite a long way from a sangha so am trying to find an online one which I can be part of as I won't be able to personally make it to one on a regular basis. Thank-you for reading my introduction.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: New Member (From Ireland)

Post by Sam Vara »

Hello, and a warm welcome to Dhamma Wheel! :hello:
FCIM

Post by FCIM »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:11 pm Hello, and a warm welcome to Dhamma Wheel! :hello:
Thanks. If anyone can point me in the direction of an online sangha I'd be grateful (or have I already found one here?).
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

FCIM wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:13 pm Thanks. If anyone can point me in the direction of an online sangha I'd be grateful (or have I already found one here?).
It depends on what you mean by a sangha. Here on DW there are lots of people who practice regularly, and some extremely wise and good people. There are a small number of monastics. But there are also a wide variety of different traditions and practices, so it's far from being like a sangha you might find based in a real-life monastery, for example.

You will certainly find people willing to share knowledge with you (some a bit too keen!) but I don't think you will find a unified approach here.

I don't know if you already are aware of the Irish Sangha Trust, but their details are here:

http://www.irishsanghatrust.ie/
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

the more the merrier:)
welcome
FCIM

Post by FCIM »

Thanks all.

I wasn't aware of The Irish Sangha Trust so thanks. The only problem is it seems to be based in Dublin which is my problem. Almost all sanghas are based in Dublin in Ireland and I live quite some distance from there. I would really like to investigate formally becoming a Buddhist but my understanding is you are not allowed/able to unless you are formally part of a sangha which is where I am caught in catch 22.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

FCIM wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:45 pm Thanks all.

I wasn't aware of The Irish Sangha Trust so thanks. The only problem is it seems to be based in Dublin which is my problem. Almost all sanghas are based in Dublin in Ireland and I live quite some distance from there. I would really like to investigate formally becoming a Buddhist but my understanding is you are not allowed/able to unless you are formally part of a sangha which is where I am caught in catch 22.
There is not necessarily a formal ceremony to make one a disciple of the Buddha. As i see it what makes one a follower of the Buddha is that one is relying on the teachings for decision making, guidance and problem solving. This is loosely how i understand the taking of refuge in the Dhamma. If one wants to formally declare the taking of refuge and undertaking of precepts this is usually done by verbally or mentally reciting the words in Pali or a different language, either privately or at a monastery.
FCIM

Post by FCIM »

User1249x wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:55 pm

There is not necessarily a formal ceremony to make one a disciple of the Buddha. As i see it what makes one a follower of the Buddha is that one is relying on the teachings for decision making, guidance and problem solving. This is loosely how i understand the taking of refuge in the Dhamma. If one wants to formally declare the taking of refuge and undertaking of precepts this is usually done by verbally or mentally reciting the words in Pali or a different language, either privately or at a monastery.
Out of interest, does it have to be done in Pali or can it be done in for example English?
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

FCIM wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Out of interest, does it have to be done in Pali or can it be done in for example English?
Any language is fine. While it does not make one a Buddhist in itself, it is a very nice thing to do and a support for the mind. This is the text;

Buddham saranam gacchami
I go for refuge to the Buddha;
Dhammam saranam gacchami
I go for refuge to the Dhamma;
Sangham saranam gacchami
I go for refuge to the Sangha.

Dutiyampi Buddham saranam gacchami
A second time I go for refuge to the Buddha.
Dutiyampi Dhammam saranam gacchami
A second time I go for refuge to the Dhamma.
Dutiyampi Sangham saranam gacchami
A second time I go for refuge to the Sangha.

Tatiyampi Buddham saranam gacchami
A third time I go for refuge to the Buddha.
Tatiyampi Dhammam saranam gacchami
A third time I go for refuge to the Dhamma.
Tatiyampi Sangham saranam gacchami
A third time I go for refuge to the Sangha.

If one wants one may state one's intention to abstain from crimes as well;

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.

2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.

3. Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.

4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.

5. Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
FCIM

Post by FCIM »

User1249x wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:12 pm
FCIM wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Any language is fine. While it does not make one a Buddhist in itself, it is a very nice thing to do and a support for the mind. This is the text;

Buddham saranam gacchami
I go for refuge to the Buddha;
Dhammam saranam gacchami
I go for refuge to the Dhamma;
Sangham saranam gacchami
I go for refuge to the Sangha.

Dutiyampi Buddham saranam gacchami
A second time I go for refuge to the Buddha.
Dutiyampi Dhammam saranam gacchami
A second time I go for refuge to the Dhamma.
Dutiyampi Sangham saranam gacchami
A second time I go for refuge to the Sangha.

Tatiyampi Buddham saranam gacchami
A third time I go for refuge to the Buddha.
Tatiyampi Dhammam saranam gacchami
A third time I go for refuge to the Dhamma.
Tatiyampi Sangham saranam gacchami
A third time I go for refuge to the Sangha.

If one wants one may state one's intention to abstain from crimes as well;

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.

2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.

3. Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.

4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.

5. Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
Thank-you. From what I understand from your message, it is not absolutely necessary to formally go for refuge to a sangha in order to be a Buddhist but to follow the teachings of Buddha in daily life. That is good to know and also reassuring as I have difficulty in actually involving myself in person on a formal basis because of distance involved. I also prefer what I understand of the Theravada path because I don't have any personal belief in deities as such. I respect others who do but my own intuition is that the Buddha was a very wise and great person who attained enlightenment but that he remained a person rather than being a God.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

User1249x

Post by User1249x »

FCIM wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:47 pm I don't have any personal belief in deities as such. I respect others who do but my own intuition is that the Buddha was a very wise and great person who attained enlightenment but that he remained a person rather than being a God.
What matters is making a commitment to analysis. Therefore you can believe anything you want as long as you are staying commited to analysis and are willing to relinquish your beliefs if you have a good reason to do so, having beliefs is not a problem and seems to be practically unavoidable.

It is very nice that you are taking the refuge, Sadhu, good for you.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Hi, welcome.
I know an Irish monk, he's currently in Australia though.
Best wishes