Hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
thadubz

Hello!

Post by thadubz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Hi everyone! I have been reading this Forum for some months now and after some contemplation decided to register. After 10 years of studying buddhism i have found theravada tradition to be the right one for me. Unfortunately where i live there are only mahayana & tibetan groups and ive come to feel the need for some social connections with other likeminded people. Thanks!

SarathW

Re: Hello!

Post by SarathW » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:26 pm

:hello:
Welcome!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:14 pm

:hello: Welcome.
Your situation isn't uncommon. The Tibetan schools have reached out to the West far more than Theravada groups, mostly (I think) because the Chinese pushed them out of their homeland, and most migrant groups establishing their own temples in the West are from East Asia, i.e. Mahayana, rather than South Asia.

:namaste:
Kim

bodom

Post by bodom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:53 pm

Welcome!

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:57 pm

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

thadubz

Post by thadubz » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:14 pm
:hello: Welcome.
Your situation isn't uncommon. The Tibetan schools have reached out to the West far more than Theravada groups, mostly (I think) because the Chinese pushed them out of their homeland, and most migrant groups establishing their own temples in the West are from East Asia, i.e. Mahayana, rather than South Asia.

Kim
I live in Finland btw.it is my understanding also that this is pretty much the case. AFAIK there are only two Theravada groups in our whole country and these are both over 800 km away from where i live. Also from what ive gathered these groups work more as a kind of cultural centers for Thai people and the gatherings are held in Thai language which i dont speak at all.

Would also like to point out that i have nothing in particular against The Mahayana or Tibetan schools i only feel they are not suitable for me. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:26 am

thadubz wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:11 pm
Hi everyone! I have been reading this Forum for some months now and after some contemplation decided to register. After 10 years of studying buddhism i have found theravada tradition to be the right one for me. Unfortunately where i live there are only mahayana & tibetan groups and ive come to feel the need for some social connections with other likeminded people. Thanks!
Welcome to the board! :anjali:

Kevin :buddha2:

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:05 am

Welcome to DW!

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:00 am

thadubz wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:06 am
AFAIK there are only two Theravada groups in our whole country and these are both over 800 km away from where i live.
Same with me. But keep plodding along though it is mighty hard to do so without a good teacher.

Welcome to DW :heart:

I know one thing: that I know nothing

WindSong

Post by WindSong » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:52 am

Greetings :namaste: