I am back

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Lombardi4

I am back

Post by Lombardi4 »

Hi all!

It's a nice-looking new-look forum that you have here!

I've been away for almost a year probably - it's good to be back. I got interested in Tibetan Buddhism during the year, but came back to Theravada. Don't ask me why I went and came back again - all Buddhism is good and I love it all.

I recently made it a firm habit to meditate every day, 1 hour per day. Which I will increase to 2 hours per day by the New Year and to 3 hours by my birthday on 18 February.

Also starting a massive undertaking to read the whole Pāli Canon. Starting with the Dīgha Nikāya which I intend to finish by 31 December, along with the Khuddaka Nikāya books, one by one, simultaneously with the four nikāyas. The Majjhima must be completed by my birthday, then the Saṃyutta and Aṅguttara. After that the Vinaya Piṭaka and then the Abhidhamma Piṭaka. No deadlines for those. I have in English translation probably 98% of the Tipiṭaka.

From January I will start studying the Pāli language and from my birthday, little by little, the Thai language.

Away from Dhamma, from 1 January I begin studying an online course in Web development - a really good one, that is admired by many professionals - which I intend to finish within a year and then find work as a web developer. My current plan, which is subject to change, is to work for 4-5 years in that field, and by then I will hopefully be fully ready and prepared to seek ordination in Thailand.

I also keep fit by playing football (soccer) - already playing every week (and loving it!), and from January I will also start tennis and daily morning jogging, maybe even table tennis every now and again, along with cycling for commute, that makes for good exercise.

I became vegetarian again a while ago for the second time, and plan to go vegan from 1 January. Tough, but - I think - necessary from an ethical point of view. Might also try to stop most if not all sensual pleasures by my birthday (although that will be difficult) in order to follow the Middle Way away from the two extremes of sensual pleasures and self-mortification. Also depends if I find a girlfriend as I would like to share my life with a partner before I become a monk.

So there - I shared a lot of my plans, I trust that I will have the self-discipline to carry them all out. I think it's looking pretty good on paper, and if it could be put into practice it would be very beneficial and hopefully inspiring! I'm 29, soon to be 30, and this is a major milestone and an important stage of life where I have to be very productive and gain knowledge but also put into practice whatever I have already learned and understood, so that hopefully through self-development I will reach a stage where I can be of service and help to many other people, which is my ultimate aim. Compassion is my highest ideal - along with Wisdom and Virtue - and compassion in action, i.e. being of benefit to other people and beings is the most worthwhile aim. We, as Theravadins, should earn a better reputation than being viewed simply as pursuing our own Enlightenment for ourselves, by being trully compassionate and caring, but not just as a heartfelt feeling - however strong - but also put into action, i.e. helping other people.

It's good to be back on Dhamma Wheel. I don't know how much I'll be posting by 18 December, but after that I will be freer. Discussion of Dhamma and good friendship are very important for the increase of knowledge and wisdom.

I wish all of you happiness, health and success in all of your endeavours!

Stiphan (It's an Indianized version (correct spelling is Sṭīphan) of my name Stephen or, originally Stefan, my previous nickname was Sumano, but you can call me by any name - "What's in a name?", though I prefer Stephen in daily life, but maybe good to stick to Stiphan on the forum.)

:smile:
Last edited by Lombardi4 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kim OHara

Re: I am back

Post by Kim OHara »

:hello: Welcome back ... from another fence-jumper. :tongue:
You've set yourself an ambitious plan. I hope it all works out for you.

:namaste:
Kim
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome back. I hope all is well with you, friend.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Kim OHara wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:53 pm :hello: Welcome back ... from another fence-jumper. :tongue:
You've set yourself an ambitious plan. I hope it all works out for you.

Kim
Thanks! It's good, isn't it? I still have lots of Tibetan Buddhist books stashed on my Kindle which I haven't read but still intend to read. I will keep learning and investigating the various Mahāyāna schools but will stick to Theravāda and the study and practice of it.

It is an ambitious plan but human existence is precious and I've decided it is time for me to step up because I am growing older and do my very best with what I've got now that I have a good opportunity to do so - being in the prime of life, a strong and healthy, black-haired young man, as the Buddha would say. Materially I have everything I need, mentally I am fit and healthy, so I have to use this opportunity and not waste time. Setting the bar high is important but most important is doing one's very best in everything that one does. You never know when death will strike nor your fate after death.

The Buddha started out at age 29. I am starting out in certain terms, but not for the first time. This is my Fourth Revolution, a "revolution" in my life's terms being a period of practice leading to success and well-being. And ultimately, as I said, I want to be of help to others. Monasticism will hopefully give me that opportunity.
Last edited by Lombardi4 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:00 pm Greetings,

Welcome back. I hope all is well with you, friend.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
Thank you, Paul! All is well with me. Got a minor ankle injury at football, but it's almost healed. Hope you are alright as well. May you and your family be well. :smile:
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Welcome back!

I also have similar plans.

Good Luck to us!

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:30 pm Welcome back!

I also have similar plans.

Good Luck to us!

:anjali:
Thanks, Lucas! Best of luck to you in your endeavours!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Welcome back, Stiphan. I missed you! :heart:
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:20 pm Welcome back, Stiphan. I missed you! :heart:
Thanks, Sam Vara! I missed the forum and it's good to be back. :heart:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome back!

:buddha2:
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

DNS wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:35 pm Welcome back!

:buddha2:
Thank you, David! Be well.
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Hi Stephen, welcome back. I also rejoined recently :-)
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Dharmasherab wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:12 am Hi Stephen, welcome back. I also rejoined recently :-)
Hi Dharmasherab! Thanks and nice to see you here.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome back! I always enjoy your contributions to the forum. :thumbsup:

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

bodom wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:13 pm Welcome back! I always enjoy your contributions to the forum. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Bodom! Be well.