Hello from Vienna!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
grosserkater

Hello from Vienna!

Post by grosserkater »

Hello Sangha!

I started doing formal meditation practice about two years ago when I did a 10-Day-Goenka retreat. Since then I've been practicing very regularly, eventually increased the amount of daily practice to 7 hours (which I have kept with a small deviation because I had to be there for family where I only was able to sit 5 hours for about a month. I've done several (4) 10-day-self-courses, one 30-day course, 2 more official goenka courses (1 serving and another meditating). My primary aim in life is to attain liberation/to gain insight and in that way benefit others if I am successful. I have canceled all mundane pursuits that fall under entertainment etc. yet I'm still in a somewhat complicated situation with my girlfriend. I am afraid of ordaining/ feel like it's not appropriate right now because of responsibilities. I don't claim to any attainments, but my mental kinks and egotism have subsided a little over the course of time which is very encouraging. My "quality of life" has increased substantially over the last two years. I practice mostly the body scanning, but also started working with "The Mind Illuminated", which helped me greatly to better integrate very stimulating environments and not to get overwhelmed (which I frequently got especially in the beginning when I increased my daily practice). Lately I've started exploring Jhana and while I cannot reach the first Jhana (I think I was able to a few times but it was at random and always on longer retreats) lately I've been experiencing quite some piti when doing either body contemplation, anapanasati or goenka body-scanning, which I interpret as conducive to development. I usually don't eat dinner, don't eat meat or fish, don't do anything that's entertainment, with some difficulty sticking to celibacy.

I would love to meet some like-minded people - especially from Austria or even Vienna, or else somebody from across the globe who feels that he wants to reach out to me. While I'm interested to talk to somebody who is very committed I'm also open to talking/writing with somebody who might only be starting out and is looking for inspiration. I don't claim to be very experienced but at least I'm quite motivated. I would love to exchange info about personal practice, things one has learned and especially challenging points when practicing very seriously while living in society (for me it's often challenging). I am very much looking forward to replies and maybe e-mail can be shared in PM. I am also looking forward to reading in this community and also to hopefully contributing in a meaningful way.

Best regards and wishing whoever reads this success in his endeavour,
Ean
My growing blog about dha(r/m)ma
https://growindhamma.wordpress.com
retrofuturist

Re: Hello from Vienna!

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

(FWIW, one-on-one friendships that spawn from this forum usually occur via general participation. As people discuss issues, it become apparent who shares similar insights/contexts/world-views/attitudes/personalities etc. In other words, it broadens before it narrows, so don't be disheartened if your initial hopes for 1-on-1 PM or e-mail interactions do not pan out as hoped.)

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:toast:
binocular

Post by binocular »

grosserkater wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:09 pm...
Big tomcat from Vienna, hello!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
grosserkater

Post by grosserkater »

Hello retrofuturist, DNS and binocular and thanks for the welcome :)
Thanks for pointing this out, Paul. Yes I'm looking forward to contributing and meeting some people.
Haha yes big tomcat

Metta
My growing blog about dha(r/m)ma
https://growindhamma.wordpress.com