New to Buddhism

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
wfarka

New to Buddhism

Post by wfarka »

Hi there!

My name is Will, im 20 years old, English, currently living and working in Italy. I recently moved here and decided it was a great opportunity to finally take control of my life and find happiness. Around 2 months ago I came across the (in my opinion) excellent novel 'The Dharma Bums' by Jack Kerouac, which I would highly recommend.

The vivid descriptions of living blissfully on the road with very few possessions and practicing the noble path spoke very strongly to me. Humanism, minimalism, generosity and living in the moment are all important aspects of my life which I aspire to so I was very joyful to find them combined in Buddhism. Since then I have read some basic books on Buddhism, mainly on Mindfulness, (The Essence of Buddhism, Mindfulness in Plain English, The Experience of Insight) and I recently came across this forum.

There is no temple nearby which I can visit so I am a solo practitioner for now (and for the foreseeable future), and I have no particular attachment to any sect of Buddhism, although in my research ive found myself leaning away from Mahayana Buddhism due to what i hear about chanting and general bamboo stick abuse :rofl:

Outside of Buddhism im interested in Art, exercise, travelling, snowboarding, reading and all manner of other things wholesome and not so wholesome.

I hope this isn't too long for a first post and that you'll welcome me to the forum. I'd love to hear any opinions and advice or reading you can suggest as I begin my way on the Eight-fold Path - im looking to read more of the central texts of Buddhism but im not sure where to start.

In return here is a photo of a happy clay Buddha I have made and finished painting today which I hope will bring a smile to your day.

Thank you! :namaste:
Attachments
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg (200.99 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
CedarTree

Re: New to Buddhism

Post by CedarTree »

Great clay Buddha friend :)

Practice, Practice, Practice

bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome ! Awesome job on the Buddha.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Welcome!
Great art work!
:twothumbsup:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BasementBuddhist

Post by BasementBuddhist »

Welcome to DW. You are embarking on one hell of a journey, my friend. More so than your move, more so than the greatest piece of snowboarding, more than your greatest work of art. It's going to destroy you, in every sense of the word. I hope you are ready for it. It's rather a wonderful experience. Except for when it is boring or even terrible.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:buddha1:
stentoriusmaxim

Post by stentoriusmaxim »

Dhrama Bums is awesome, I have it somewhere, I must go find it. Italy seems like a great place to meditate. You're living the dream. I love history so it would be a dream come true. Keep up the good work man.