Right intention... Wrong habits.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
DC2R

Re: Right intention... Wrong habits.

Post by DC2R »

Welcome!

To stop drinking, you must know why you want to stop drinking. The Abhisanda Sutta is one of the many places where the benefits are explained:
Furthermore, abandoning the use of intoxicants, the disciple of the noble ones abstains from taking intoxicants. In doing so, he gives freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings. In giving freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, freedom from oppression to limitless numbers of beings, he gains a share in limitless freedom from danger, freedom from animosity, and freedom from oppression. This is the fifth gift, the fifth great gift — original, long-standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated, unadulterated from the beginning — that is not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and is unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & brahmans.
Garrib

Re: Right intention... Wrong habits.

Post by Garrib »

Welcome!

I think you are quite fortunate to have encountered the Dhamma at all - many (most) people never get a real shot at it. When I first became seriously interested in meditation, I started reading books by a certain modern teacher/Guru who did not abstain from alcohol and other vices - I found certain benefits in just meditating and contemplating impermanence...and I really just blissed out thinking of the Buddha - WOW, a fully enlightened, totally compassionate being- but it wasn't for several years that I realized something was really wrong. Not only was I a drinker, but I was a bartender (and musician) too. Eventually I encountered "early Buddhism", what I consider to be the actual teachings of the Buddha, which had been somehow out of reach and obscured for the better part of my 20's. I took refuge and precepts.. I was able to overcome drinking, change my livelihood, and I am so grateful to have found this path.

You can do it - you can give up the bad habits and cultivate the path. Put in the effort, and stick with it. I am sure you won't regret it.

Best.