Hello friends

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Bijlefeld

Hello friends

Post by Bijlefeld » Thu May 04, 2017 5:02 am

Hello to all at DW!
I've been reading for some time to try and further my studies and understanding of the suttas and commentaries. Thank you to all for sharing your experiences and wisdom, it's been a huge benefit in finding relevant links, further reading and shedding some light on some of the difficult concepts I've been trying to work through.
I mainly study on my own through this forum and books/essays/commentaries that members here have noted as reputable sources. There are several Theravada groups near me (Seattle, WA) but unfortunately meetings don't match up with my work schedule. I did briefly attend some Dhamma talks at a nearby Zen monastery, but found the Mahayana teachings (at least the way they were presented at this monastery) a bit too divergent from the Tipitaka. In no way am I trying to offend anyone following the Mahayana teachings, just didn't feel like a match for me.
Anyway, thanks again to all the members here, a huge thank you to the Bhikkus that take the time to share their knowledge and insight. I'm looking forward to continuing down this path, and am hoping to learn more and share from the small amount of relevant information I've come across whenever possible.
With Metta,
Josh
:anjali:
‘etaṃ santaṃ etaṃ paṇītaṃ yadidaṃ sabba­saṅ­khā­ra­sama­tho sabbū­padhipa­ṭi­nissaggo taṇhākkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānan’

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Hello friends

Post by retrofuturist » Thu May 04, 2017 6:00 am

Greetings Josh,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel, and all the best with your studies.

:buddha1:

There's many people here with many valuable and differing perspectives, so amongst all of that you're bound to come across certain recommendation and resources which help your along the path.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Thu May 04, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Josh :candle:
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu May 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Welcome to DW!

:buddha2:

bodom

Post by bodom » Thu May 04, 2017 11:11 pm

Welcome!

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

"Dont send the mind outside. Watch the mind right at the mind."

- Ajahn Dune Atulo

DC2R

Post by DC2R » Fri May 05, 2017 8:55 pm

Hello and welcome!
May the blessings of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha always be firmly established in your hearts.

http://txti.es/theravada