Dhamma, not Drama.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
COS

Dhamma, not Drama.

Post by COS »

Hi!

Been a Buddhist maybe four or five years, but started off with Mahāyāna. Experimented a bit with Zen and Pure Land; think I've found my Buddhism in Theravāda. Just feel like the core scriptures speak to me more; can't say I belong to any particular tradition within Theravāda. I think there are a couple of Thai and Cambodian temples in a nearby city that I might check out come the next Uposatha.

Something I want to share that you all might get a kick out of: I've started translating dukkha as "drama" in my mind, and I've sort of geared my practice toward the cessation of all "drama" in my life. Hope that doesn't make light of the Truths; I find my "translation" to be very intelligible provided a given value for the word "drama."

Metta.
retrofuturist

Re: Dhamma, not Drama.

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings COS,

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst some may complain that "drama" isn't an a literal translation for "dukkha", both originate from the same place and therefore have the same point of cessation, so you could do much worse! It may indeed yield some useful insights.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome Cos! :group:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

:buddha2:
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind." — William Shakespeare

Hello, enjoy the drama :)
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
DC2R

Post by DC2R »

Welcome! Drama definitely causes dukkha. (dukkha is suffering, pain, etc.)
Chi

Post by Chi »

Welcome COS!
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

Interesting translation ;)

Welcome to the forums!

:)
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia