Hello ^^

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
_anicca_

Hello ^^

Post by _anicca_ » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:19 pm

Hey there,

I am a former member of this forum and, after a brief hiatus from the online realms, I have returned. I am 17 years old, and I have been practicing meditation and following the Buddha's teachings since I was 12 or 13. I plan on majoring in Buddhist Studies, and I'm interested in ordaining at one point or another.

When I was 14 and a follower of the Soto Zen route, I undertook Jukai and received the Dhamma name of Heion ("tranquility"). I found that the teachings of Zen did not have as much of an impact on me as that of the Theravada Schools. I took an online retreat under the guidance of Venerable Bhante Vimalaramsi and David Johnson when I was 16 to deepen my practice, and I remember this being a time of great learning and discovery in regards to how mind creates suffering and how the Buddha's teachings could alleviate my suffering.

Unfortunately, I went into inpatient treatment for Anorexia Nervosa: Binge/Purge Subtype, and I was discharged earlier this year. Needless to say, I caused myself a great amount of suffering. In spite of this, I think it was (and still is) a great learning experience into how we create our own suffering. I still struggle, but I know I can take refuge in myself, the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha.

:buddha1:
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

http://vipassanameditation.asia

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Hello ^^

Post by DNS » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Welcome back!

:hello:

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:52 pm

Welcome :hello:

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:04 pm

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Jim1

Post by Jim1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:53 am

Hi _anicca_, as far as food and weight and all that.. My dad is very overweight, but he was told not to worry about eating less, or how much he's eating, or any of that. Just to concentrate on eating healthy, and being healthy(exercise/limiting alcohol and all that). So that's what he does now and it's turned out to be really good advice. Just thought I'd share that, for what it's worth. Anyway, welcome back!

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

DC2R

Post by DC2R » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:09 am

Welcome back!
May the blessings of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha always be firmly established in your hearts.

http://txti.es/theravada

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Jim1 wrote:Hi _anicca_, as far as food and weight and all that.. My dad is very overweight, but he was told not to worry about eating less, or how much he's eating, or any of that. Just to concentrate on eating healthy, and being healthy(exercise/limiting alcohol and all that). So that's what he does now and it's turned out to be really good advice. Just thought I'd share that, for what it's worth. Anyway, welcome back!

With metta,
Jim
Thank you for the thought! It is very difficulty for me to turn the focus away from all of the technical aspects of food like calories, macronutrients, etc, but continuing down that path just leads to a lot of unneeded stress and anxiety.

Metta
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:02 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Metta

:candle: