Greetings from Mexico!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Pumo

Greetings from Mexico!

Post by Pumo »

Hi everyone here!

After some thought, I finally decided to register on these forums.

I'm a 31 year old guy from Mexico (from the Puebla region, to be more specific), and been VERY interested on Buddhism since a couple of years ago.
I consider myself pretty new to Buddhism, even if I've been studying it since 2013.

I'm still learning a lot, but due to the scarce Buddhism resources at my place, I'm mostly depending on the Internet to research the Buddhist path.

I'm starting to take courses of Shamata and Vipassana meditation at the Tibet House from my city.
Unfortunately, there are not monasteries nor an easy way to contact fellow Buddhists where I live, and finding good, complete books is hard (being a mostly Catholic place), so I thought that these forums may help me to get more insight into Buddhism.

Although I'm a bit inlcined to Tibetan/Mahayana traditions and like the Boddhisattva ideal, I'm also pretty interested on Theravada teachings, and specially on learning the Pali Canon (or at least the most I can, as I don't know Pali at all), and I like to embrace and compare the teachings from the different schools.

So I hope we can all get along, and receive very warm greetings from my side, directly from Puebla, Mexico!

:namaste:
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1:
Ben

Re: Greetings from Mexico!

Post by Ben »

Hi Pumo
Welcome to DW!
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
The following are my favourite Dhamma sources :

This is my standard recommendation.
a)Read BuddhismCourse. (Take about 12 hours to read and give you a good idea about the teaching)
http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/PDF_BuddhismCourse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b)Print a copy of this Dhamma Chart and refer to it while studding Buddhism.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

c) Read Buddha’s Teaching by Narada. Start from chapter 15.
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

d) While you reading above texts please listen to the following Dhamma Talk by Joseph Goldstein.
http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/96/talk/6162/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are ready to go!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Hola!

Bienvenida a DW!
Pumo

Post by Pumo »

Thanks everyone for the nice welcoming, I'm already feeling at home!

And thanks SarathW for the links, they seem to be pretty helpful indeed, will check them out immediately. :)
DC2R

Post by DC2R »

Welcome! You may find this website useful.

http://www.bosquetheravada.org/
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome y bievenido!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Cormac Brown

Post by Cormac Brown »

Big welcome to Dhamma Wheel. Here's a link to some meditation guides in spanish:

edit: http://dhammatalks.org/es_txt_index.html
“I in the present who am a worthy one, rightly self-awakened, am a
teacher of action, a teacher of activity, a teacher of persistence. But the
worthless man Makkhali contradicts even me, (saying,) ‘There is no
action. There is no activity. There is no persistence.’ "
AN 3.138, trans. Ven. Thanissaro
Diego Hemken

Post by Diego Hemken »

Hello. My mother's mother's father was born in Chignahuapan, Puebla. I visited a year or so ago.

Someone beat me to the bosquetheravada.org link. There you can read good translations of the Pali canon. From what I have heard, the Pali canon is the most accurate record of the Buddha's teachings. As the teachings crossed the himalayas, they seem to have been distorted by impure individuals with limited access to technology. Now, anyone in the world can just google the Pali canon, so there is no further need for distorted teachings in my opinion.

There is also a retreat center in the Goenka tradition near Mexico City.
http://www.dhamma.org/en-US/locations/d ... #makaranda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And my favorite place to learn the teachings of the Buddha, accesstoinsight.org

The dhammatalks.org site is also good. Ajahn Geoff is here in California and is a big sharer of Pali canon dhamma. I haven't heard the spanish content from their website though.

Here is a photo of my great grandfather next to a white guy (fourth from left, bottom row), at a school in the city of Puebla where they taught teachers (he was a teacher for a little bit).

Pumo

Post by Pumo »

That's some nice photo, it look so full of history!
And Chignahuapan is a beautiful place, by the way. :)

And thanks everyone for the links you're suggesting, It's very much appreciated! :anjali:
Sati1

Post by Sati1 »

Hola Pumo,

Bienvenido a Dhamma Wheel! Yo también soy de México, pero voy a escribir en inglés por ser el idioma del foro (por el momento también estoy viviendo en Inglaterra). I recommend that you visit Dhamma Vihara in Veracruz, just outside Jalapa, about 2-3 hours from Puebla. It is the only Theravada monastery with a monk in Latin America. I did an excellent retreat with Dr. Miguel Romero there last October. The monk, Ven. Nandisena, also leads retreats, although he also spends a lot of time traveling. A friend and teacher of mine who lives in Tehuacán, Pue, is involved with a small meditation group there. Send me a personal message if you would like me to connect you with him. If you decide to visit Dhamma Vihara, I can also put you in touch with the person who administers the place.

Saludos!
Sati1

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.30, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

Pumo wrote:I'm already feeling at home!
Glad you're feeling at home here man, welcome!

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Pumo

Post by Pumo »

Sati1 wrote:I recommend that you visit Dhamma Vihara in Veracruz, just outside Jalapa, about 2-3 hours from Puebla. It is the only Theravada monastery with a monk in Latin America. I did an excellent retreat with Dr. Miguel Romero there last October. The monk, Ven. Nandisena, also leads retreats, although he also spends a lot of time traveling. A friend and teacher of mine who lives in Tehuacán, Pue, is involved with a small meditation group there. Send me a personal message if you would like me to connect you with him. If you decide to visit Dhamma Vihara, I can also put you in touch with the person who administers the place.
Saludos y gracias por la info Sati, es muy útil! :thumbsup:
I may have some problems to travel outside my place (mainly economical and also due to my job agenda), but I might contemplate your offering for a future.
Jim1 wrote:Glad you're feeling at home here man, welcome!

With metta,
Jim
Indeed, I like the attitude of the users on these forums, it feels just right to be here. :group:
bodom wrote:Welcome!

Thanks Bodom! :thanks: