Hello from Wyoming, USA

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
JohnK

Hello from Wyoming, USA

Post by JohnK » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:00 pm

Thank you, Dhamma Wheel founders, organizers, and participants. I am awed by the depth of knowledge, commitment and helpfulness here. I am just beginning to discover the Dhamma side of the internet.

I am a member of what we call the "Teton Sangha." https://tetonsangha.wordpress.com/ Our Guiding Teacher is John Travis from Nevada City, California. http://www.mtstream.org/index.html John is also a senior teacher at Spirit Rock, an Insight Meditation Center. http://www.spiritrock.org/ John has been travelling here once or twice a year since 1996 to lead Vipassana retreats (typically 9 days) -- many thanks!

I have been attending his retreats for about 15 years. Most of my "study" (which has increased lately) has been reading books by Ajahn Chah, Bhante G., Joseph Goldstein, Larry Rosenberg, Stephen Batchelor,... At the request of my teacher, I have been doing some very limited teaching for the last year and a half. As he said it would, it has energized my practice (and my study -- in part to be more broadly informed and responsible when I speak of the Dhamma). So, I have recently finished Bhikku Bodhi's sutta anthology (which as planned by him was very helpful in providing a systematic overview of the teachings -- gratitude!). It was great to experience the discourses directly -- rather than reading interpretations or brief segments in other books. So, I'm now just beginning his translation of the Samyutta Nikaya -- his chapter introductions are very informative.

I just found you all here at Dhamma Wheel and find myself checking in (and even posting a little) regularly.
Greetings from the clear, spacious landscapes of the Teton Mountain Range -- lately I have been wondering if part of the reason people are so touched and moved on seeing these mountains is that they somehow recognize the possibility of a similar clear and spacious inner landscape.
May we all realize such.
http://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm
"...the practice is essentially a practice, and not a theory to be idly discussed...right view leaves unanswered many questions about the cosmos and the self, and directs your attention to what needs to be done to escape from the ravages of suffering." Thanissaro Bhikkhu, On The Path.

Dhammanando
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Re: Hello from Wyoming, USA

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:07 pm

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel, and thanks for the nice expansive introduction.

:hello:

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:20 pm

Welcome to DW!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

Jim1

Post by Jim1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:00 pm

JohnK wrote:Greetings from the clear, spacious landscapes of the Teton Mountain Range -- lately I have been wondering if part of the reason people are so touched and moved on seeing these mountains is that they somehow recognize the possibility of a similar clear and spacious inner landscape.
May we all realize such.
Indeed, well put. Welcome!

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

dagon

Post by dagon » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi Jim - welcome to DW

Nice location you have there - lots of dhammic potential in them there hills.
Quiescent it may seem, yet the landscape is not static but dynamic. This is one of the many exciting ideas that geology has contributed to society. The concept of the "everlasting hills" is a myth. All the features around us are actually rather short-lived in terms of geologic time. The discerning eye detects again and again the restlessness of the land. We have discussed many bits of evidence that show how the landscape and the earth's crust beneath it are constantly being carved, pushed up, dropped down, folded, tilted, and faulted.
http://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_b ... y/sec3.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting study into impermanence!

metta
dagon

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:08 am

Welcome to DW!

:anjali:

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 am

Hello johnk,

Welcome, I feel you have much to teach, and look forward to your insights :thumbsup:
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

DC2R

Post by DC2R » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:27 am

Hello and welcome! It seems like you have quite a lot to offer this forum!
"May the blessings of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha always be firmly established in your hearts." ―Ajahn Chah

http://txti.es/theravada

SDC

Post by SDC » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:24 am

JohnK wrote:Greetings from the clear, spacious landscapes of the Teton Mountain Range -- lately I have been wondering if part of the reason people are so touched and moved on seeing these mountains is that they somehow recognize the possibility of a similar clear and spacious inner landscape.[/url]
I spent a week skiing in Jackson a few years back. "Was a time, I remember oh so well."

Welcome to the forum!!

Jim1

Post by Jim1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:14 pm

dagon wrote:Hi Jim - welcome to DW

Nice location you have there - lots of dhammic potential in them there hills.
Hi Dagon, thanks for the welcome. :)
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:47 pm

Thank you for the warm welcomes.
This site seems like what it must have been like in the Buddha's time:
The community engaging the teachings together, questioning, helping, thanking -- very inspiring!
Thanks again to all who make this possible.
"...the practice is essentially a practice, and not a theory to be idly discussed...right view leaves unanswered many questions about the cosmos and the self, and directs your attention to what needs to be done to escape from the ravages of suffering." Thanissaro Bhikkhu, On The Path.

bodom

Post by bodom » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:03 pm

Welcome!

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan