Greetings from Seattle!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
elephant_grove

Greetings from Seattle!

Post by elephant_grove »

Hello all,

First of all, I sincerely thank you for the opportunity to participate in this online forum.

I have been practicing Buddhism for approximately 2 months. I began this journey upon reading an English translation of the Dhammapada that I Incidentally purchased at a shop on my first wedding anniversary trip. Some of my first steps have been daily learning from Dhamma teachings, very basic breathing meditation to begin the process of calming the mind, beginning to purify the mind through the avoidance of defilements, and working on cultivating empathy.

I am proactively seeking out Dhamma teachings that are consistent with primary Canonical literature. This is quite difficult in the modern information age when distortions and misinterpretations of the Buddhas teachings abound. Another challenge that I recognize is the availability of many conflicting English translations of the Pali texts. On that note, I am interested in beginning the process of learning Pali.

At the moment I am studying The Greater Discourse on the Destruction of Craving (Mahatanhasankhaya) in John Holder's Early Buddhist Discourses.

Lastly, I am highly interested in looking into the potential role of pure abstract mathematics as a tool (amongst many others) for training the mind for crystal clear thinking. By actively exercising the mind in a clear, open and peaceful way, this may reduce its tendency to become muddled and otherwise distract one from spiritual insight during meditation. I suspect that this practice may aid ones capacity to quiet the mind and intuitively see the world as it is, without so much assumption and preconditioned bias. Just a thought :smile:

Take care, and I look forward to all sorts of positive discussions to follow.
-Rusty
Please help stop ivory trafficking by fellow Buddhists:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/ ... vory-video
Please do not turn away. Here is one way you can help:
https://www.worldwildlife.org/initiativ ... nservation
cooran

Re: Greetings from Seattle!

Post by cooran »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel! :group:

You have begun an exciting (and sometimes difficult journey) - glad you've joined us.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
bodom

Post by bodom »

Welcome!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Greetings from Vancouver (British Columbia :))

Check out early sutta translations online, from a book store or at your local library by one - Thomas Rhys Davids

And one - Edward Conze
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Ben

Post by Ben »

Greetings Rusty and welcome!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:thumbsup:
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome to DW Rusty!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

I love your attitude Rusty, it's really great to have you on here with us. I believe you'll fit in very well. :)

With metta,
Jim
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

Post by 333 »

welcome, greetings from san diego! That is a beautiful and majestic elephant in your picture
To Avoid All Evil,
To Cultivate Only Good,
And To Purify One's Mind
This Is The Teaching Of All The Buddhas!
-Dhammapada 183
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Welcome! :hello:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
aperrie

Post by aperrie »

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here!
farmer

Post by farmer »

Welcome Rusty. If you are interested, there are some good resources in the Seattle area. The Seattle Insight Meditation Society is very active and offers a wide range of classes, talks, sittings and retreats. There is also a Thai temple in Woodinville, Wat Atammayatarama, which runs a monthly retreat in the summer and weekly sittings. Both have good websites where you can check out upcoming activities.