hello from new mexico

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
FRINGECLASS

hello from new mexico

Post by FRINGECLASS »

hi, my name is Justin. over the past year ive sat shikantaza in soto zen traditions, but I am more interested in Theravada and vipassana, which is what ive been practicing lately. I know there are some good teachers, centers, and retreats in my state. unfortunately, those are all in the northern part of new mexico, im as south as you can get. there are zen and Tibetan centers here, so im familiar with sangha stuff. i also watch a lot of videos by yuttadhammo and ajahn brahm. im registering and introducing myself because im sure ill have some questions. ive also checked these boards from time to time over the past year or so.

when i first became interested in Buddhism a few years back (but wasn't practicing, just meditation here and there), it was because i was intrigued. now, and over the past year, its been because ive bottomed out from suffering. beliefs are a form of suffering for myself too, and ive held them all, believe me. im not anti-supernatural stuff, or even an atheist, its just those beliefs have done nothing for me, and only bring me more suffering. that's why i like Theravada approach. and if i get to a point where i meet god in meditation, then i met him/her/it. if i get to a point where i "become one with everything" from my practice, then i will be one with everything. but as for now, those things are only talk and blanket statements to me and do nothing for my liberation.

thank you guys and ill be seeing you around im sure..

Justin :coffee:
retrofuturist

Re: hello from new mexico

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Justin,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome to DhammaWheel, Justin! :group:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:coffee:
FRINGECLASS

Post by FRINGECLASS »

hey, thanks for the replies.

I think I might have forgotten about my favorite aspect of Theravada, but I was reminded just now by an old post of yours, david. and that is that Theravada is more teaching based then teacher based. this means to me that no matter what happens; corrupt teacher, fallout with sangha, people in power positions using religion as a weapon against its people, twisted teachings, etc. we know what Buddha instructed to do.

also, any advice on where to start with books? do I want to start with modern day ajahns or the old texts? any recommendations for a legit translation of the dhammapada?

thanks..

justin
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello FringeClass,

This is one of the best books on the Teachings of the Buddha for beginning or experienced practitioners:

What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula
http://buddhasociety.com/online-books/w ... hula-9#TOC

(Please post any further questions or discussions on books in the appropriate sub-forum.)

With metta
Chris
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
FRINGECLASS

Post by FRINGECLASS »

thanks, cooran, I am familiar with that book (but haven't read). as far as posting in appropriate subforums goes, will do!

metta,

justin
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello again,

Introductory Resources sub-forum:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148

With metta
Chris
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
FRINGECLASS

Post by FRINGECLASS »

thanks, and thanks for the link!

metta,

justin