Hello!

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
tristan

Hello!

Post by tristan »

Hi! I joined Dhamma Wheel because I have, for many years, had one foot quite firmly in Buddhism and been able to nurture my practice, in various ways, by being part of a Unitarian (or in the States a Unitarian Universalist) community. I live in London but have found it remarkably difficult to find a sangha that is a) nearish to me and b) meets at times I can manage with my work. I decided to look online for a community so that I can maintain the wonderful relationship with my UU community, keep my job, have a place to talk about the practice with others and not have to spend lots of time on busses and tubes in order to do it.

I decided to join Dhamma Wheel specifically because it seems to be focused mainly on Theravada practice. I have been drawn to this school because I always feel I have 'got more out of' listening to dhamma talks or reading materials from teachers in the Theravada/Vipassana school, although I value the works from the other traditions.

I'm looking forward to conversing with you!

Peace. /Tristan
Namaste. /Tristan
--
[size=85]Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.[/size]
retrofuturist

Re: Hello!

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tristan,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!

:coffee:
cooran

Post by cooran »

Welcome Tristan!!! :group:

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Welcome aboard Tristan
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Welcome Tristan!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Welcome on board.