Members Bios - please contribute yours

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
User avatar
padmini
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:13 am
Contact:

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by padmini » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:22 pm

David N. Snyder wrote: For those that don't want to list too much detail about your bio, how about 6 words to describe yourself or your life? It could be personality traits, accomplishments, interests, or something else.
Here are mine (excluding the very obvious "Buddhism"):
Chinese language & culture
avihiṃsā
NNEST (Non-Native English Speaking Teacher of English)
introvert
family
reading
knitting

:anjali:
The Buddha's path is simple and meant for ordinary people; anyone with goodwill and determination can follow its steps toward freedom of heart and mind
-- Ven. Ayya Khema

User avatar
Mohan Gnanathilake
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:16 am
Location: Ragama, Sri Lanka

Self-Introduction (Abhivādana)

Post by Mohan Gnanathilake » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:53 pm

My name is Mohan Barathi Gnanathilake. I am a Sri Lankan. I was born on 10 May 1975 in Kandy, Sri Lanka. I am a nature lover. I am working as a Private Tutor for German language at present. I was in Munich and Freiburg in the past. I got two scholarships to fly to Germany. I passed the “Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung” at the Goethe Institute in Munich.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

Mr.Mohan Barathi Gnanathilake
Permanent Address : No. 372 / 2 , Mahara Prison Road , Ragama, Sri Lanka.
Telephone No :+94 112957857
Email :moh.bar.gna1975@gmail.com

indianromeo
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Self-Introduction (Abhivādana)

Post by indianromeo » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:15 am

Mohan Gnanathilake wrote:My name is Mohan Barathi Gnanathilake. I am a Sri Lankan. I was born on 10 May 1975 in Kandy, Sri Lanka. I am a nature lover. I am working as a Private Tutor for German language at present. I was in Munich and Freiburg in the past. I got two scholarships to fly to Germany. I passed the “Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung” at the Goethe Institute in Munich.
Welcome!

User avatar
soogar571
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 am
Contact:

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by soogar571 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:04 am

Hello! I'm soogar(meaning 'practice more'). Because of my poor English, I wrote the biography as follow in condensed form.

main events in my life;
1957 born. 1975 my mother died when i was 18 years old. 1987 married. 1988, 1991 earned two daughters respectively. 2008 lost elder daughter forever and divorced. 2009 divorced. (My daughter, the decedent was definitely an effect of samsara of my mother died 12 years ago before the year of daughter's birth. I have undeniable many evidences.)

education background;
1970 graduated 6 year's primary school. 1973 graduated 3 year's middle school. 1976 graduated 3 year's high school. 1980 graduated 4 year's merchant maritime college.

occupations for livelihood;
1980-1983 maritime navigation officer of cargo ship for worldwide. 1983-1999 system programmer, application programmer and project manager. 1999-2003 reseller for thermal health care machine with at a shop rented. 2003-2009 owner of pensions for rental service at beautiful mountain area. 2009-current day-trading for 'future index' while staying home.

Practice;
1986-1989 qi-gong practice at DanWorld. 2008-2009 chanting practice of 'Om mani padme hum'.

Books affected profoundly to me;
1976-1978 Siddhartha written by Herman Hesse. 1978-1980 Bible, especially New-testament. 1980-1983 Tao of Physics written by Fritjof Capra. 1980-2009 Tao Te Ching translated by R.L.Wing. 1980-2009 I- Ching translated by R.L.Wing. 1980-1983 Third Wave written by Alvin Toffler. 2003-2004 Zi Ping Theory(chinese astrology). 2003-2009 Mahayana's Diamond Sutra. 2010-2016 Abhidhamma Sangaha. 2011-2016 Nikaya as AN, SN, DN, Ud and Dhp

My greeting is there in "Introduction".
That's all for my biography. Thank you.
soogar
Object determines the quality of citta.
So, the experience of nibbana at this very moment invokes the lokuttara citta.

home page : http://www.soogar.com
facebook : https://www.facebook.com/soogar571

sandun Wanniarachchi
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by sandun Wanniarachchi » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:55 am

hi everyone,

i am sandun and i am from srilanka. i am 15 years old and i am probably the youngest member of dhamma wheel with least experience. i am a bit busy with school work these days since i have to face the ordinary level exam next year.not much to say about my personal life because my life history is very short.

though i am a buddhist by birth i started following it very recently. i have a very recent history in meditation which is approximately 8 months. over the last few months i discovered many of meditation methods but i was'nt able to adapt them fully. but after reading "satipatthana direct path to realization by venerable Analayo and heart of buddhist meditation by ven. nyanaponika thera i came to the conclusion that sutta reference was the best and possible method to reach the buddha. i am a member of sutta central and i am interested in studying early buddhist texts in pali,chinese,sanskrit and tibetan. but, i always make sure that i give priority to daily mindfulness and tranquility meditation which helps me to figure things out.
Attachments
1941043_785630381566211_1449143193_n.jpg
1941043_785630381566211_1449143193_n.jpg (86.6 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
“Venerable sir, it is said, ‘the world, the world.’ In what way, venerable sir, might there be the world or the description of the world?”

“Where there is the eye, Samiddhi, where there are forms, eye-consciousness, things to be cognized by eye-consciousness, there the world exists or the description of the world.

“Where there is the ear …..

“Where there is no eye, Samiddhi, no forms, no eye-consciousness, no things to be cognized by eye-consciousness, there the world does not exist nor any description of the world.

" Where there is no ear,.....

S.N. 35.66

User avatar
cjmacie
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:49 am

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by cjmacie » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:27 am

SDC wrote:...Did drugs and skied...
The guy who taught me how to ski (a friend from Germany), put it so: you go to the top, and go down, using gravity to exercise your body and mind. If you do it right, when you get to the bottom your are "higher" than when you began at the top. (That was in California, 1970's -- the golden-age of psychedelics.)

User avatar
SDC
Posts: 3748
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by SDC » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:53 pm

cjmacie wrote:
SDC wrote:...Did drugs and skied...
The guy who taught me how to ski (a friend from Germany), put it so: you go to the top, and go down, using gravity to exercise your body and mind. If you do it right, when you get to the bottom your are "higher" than when you began at the top. (That was in California, 1970's -- the golden-age of psychedelics.)
:rofl:

Derek
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by Derek » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Dan74 wrote:I think it can be healthy to have a little thread where people can contribute a few lines about themselves. Some of us did that in the Intro already but others may feel like doing more after having gotten involved in the forum and gotten to know the folk here a bit better.

Anyhow here goes one of me and I hope some others will follow!
Some chapters of the link in my signature give biographical info. It's free to read.

Kapimaia
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by Kapimaia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:57 pm

Bio!

I have a pressing mess and will figure out who I was later, however in the link below I am Ananda.

http://www.earlywritings.com/forum/view ... 100#p66100

Clarity is meritorious!

Joy,
Kapimaia

Amare
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours. English

Post by Amare » Mon May 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi all, I'm Amarasiri from Sri Lanka. I'm an electrician by proffession and a teacher of a Sunday dhamma school.I'm conducting a program to teach Buddhism in English to some children. I'm a born Buddhist and I prefer to learn English so on.

Derek
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by Derek » Thu May 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Derek wrote:
Dan74 wrote:I think it can be healthy to have a little thread where people can contribute a few lines about themselves. Some of us did that in the Intro already but others may feel like doing more after having gotten involved in the forum and gotten to know the folk here a bit better.

Anyhow here goes one of me and I hope some others will follow!
Some chapters of the link in my signature give biographical info. It's free to read.
Now moved here: https://toronto.stream-entry.ca/

Nuggets
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by Nuggets » Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 pm

My name is Luke

I am 45 years old.

Born in Melbourne, Australia. Live in Geelong, Australia.

Single dad - look after my two little ones 2 to 4 nights a week (4 year old boy and 7 year old girl).

Discovered Buddhism about 7 years ago. Dabbled in Zen and Tibetan but finding Theravadan the most appealing.

Enjoy sport, meditation and hanging with family and friends.

User avatar
Invokingvajras
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 2:48 am
Contact:

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by Invokingvajras » Mon May 08, 2017 3:09 am

Hello! I'm 27, recently moved to Portland, OR from Pennsylvania, where I attended school at Penn State and graduated in 2013 with a dual B.A. in Religious Studies and Japanese.

My studies started around 2004, when my Japanese teacher introduced me to Pure Land and Zen Buddhist traditions. I have been an artist as far back as I can remember, and as a child was inspired by popular media such as music, animation and video games. After formally studying the culture, I came to notice how much Japanese culture was lost among American audiences, especially regarding religion. In 2007, I had a dream about Amitabha shortly after attending a Jōdo Shinshū temple and picking up taiko drumming, which inspired me to take up a more serious and eclectic study of Buddhism, including Theravada and the Nikaya/Agama canon.

My interests cover various subjects within the overlap of Buddhist and Western pagan/occult traditions, including meditation, cosmology, mythology, and gender. After a certain Uposatha observance, I came to identify as non-binary/gender fluid for a time. In hindsight, I realize that this identification came from a misunderstanding of LGBT culture and identity view. I'm slowly beginning to realize that gender is irrelevant at this point in time in my practice. I've been studying Japanese language and culture since 2004, which has served as a catalyst for my interest in becoming more involved with the POC community. This in turn has provided me with the opportunity to learn and grow within the tradition. You really begin to notice the tropes in Buddhist literature and how they relate to our own experiences interacting with fellow humans. I studied abroad at Nanzan University in Nagoya, Japan in 2010 and Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Monastery in Kaohsiung, Taiwan in the summer of 2015.

I have had a few very intense experiences in my 10 years of practicing meditation, which primarily includes mindfulness of breathing. In 2010, I experienced a vision of Vajirapani, a Buddhist deity who was synthesized with Herakles among the Greeks in the area that is now Pakistan and Afghanistan. I didn't know at the time of the experience, but discovered several depictions of this deity that were eerily reminiscent of what I saw in the vision. This historical period, as well as my involvement with the Pagan community, inspired me in 2012 to adopt Paganism as a valid worldview within my practice, especially as I reflect on the various states of the deva worlds. I've recently found inspiration in Alexander Duncan's writings in light of these ideas. It's part of my intuition that the widespread nature of folklore and mythology can play a vital role in aiding communication across cultures and potentially building a more cohesive, "global" community.

That being said, I'm mostly a solitary practitioner. And I'm absolutely comfortable wandering alone, "like a rhinoceros," but figured I'd try becoming more involved with the online community. It's nice to be acquainted with everyone and I look forward to studying the Dhamma with y'all!

Image
Last edited by Invokingvajras on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiraling Down the Middle Path

♒⚡~Musā me bhaṇamānāya muddhā phalatu sattadhā~⚡♒

User avatar
Christofer
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 3:05 am
Location: Southern Utah

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by Christofer » Wed May 17, 2017 3:37 am

Hi, my name is Christofer, I am born and raised in southern Utah. I am a husband of 12 years and have 2 sons ages 6 and 4. I have played the drums since I was 12 and play in a few bands locally. I am a barber by trade, I've been at that for about 7 years now. I started meditating daily about a year ago. I got really interested in Zen at first but eventually found my way to the Theravada tradition. I am very new to dharma practice but I have seen the fruit of it in my life and am looking forward to deepening my practice and learning what I can here. Thanks.

indianromeo
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by indianromeo » Wed May 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Christofer wrote:Hi, my name is Christofer, I am born and raised in southern Utah. I am a husband of 12 years and have 2 sons ages 6 and 4. I have played the drums since I was 12 and play in a few bands locally. I am a barber by trade, I've been at that for about 7 years now. I started meditating daily about a year ago. I got really interested in Zen at first but eventually found my way to the Theravada tradition. I am very new to dharma practice but I have seen the fruit of it in my life and am looking forward to deepening my practice and learning what I can here. Thanks.
Welcome! I've found this to be a helpful community and still do, Christofer.

Southern Utah, beautiful part of the world, love the national parks.

Have you encountered the Satipatthana Sutta, as yet?

User avatar
Christofer
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 3:05 am
Location: Southern Utah

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by Christofer » Thu May 18, 2017 2:09 am

indianromeo wrote:
Christofer wrote:Hi, my name is Christofer, I am born and raised in southern Utah. I am a husband of 12 years and have 2 sons ages 6 and 4. I have played the drums since I was 12 and play in a few bands locally. I am a barber by trade, I've been at that for about 7 years now. I started meditating daily about a year ago. I got really interested in Zen at first but eventually found my way to the Theravada tradition. I am very new to dharma practice but I have seen the fruit of it in my life and am looking forward to deepening my practice and learning what I can here. Thanks.
Welcome! I've found this to be a helpful community and still do, Christofer.

Southern Utah, beautiful part of the world, love the national parks.

Have you encountered the Satipatthana Sutta, as yet?
Thanks, I actually live about 20 miles from Zion National Park. Very beautiful. I have not encountered the Satipatthana Sutta. I will seek it out.

indianromeo
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by indianromeo » Fri May 19, 2017 5:45 am

I just visited Zion! Gorgeous. The narrows are so cool.

Satipatthana, as I've described to other people, is like a "cheat code" to Buddhism. Analayo is a contemporary monk who has written a solid commentary on it.

Good luck.

User avatar
Christofer
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 3:05 am
Location: Southern Utah

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by Christofer » Fri May 19, 2017 4:39 pm

indianromeo wrote:I just visited Zion! Gorgeous. The narrows are so cool.

Satipatthana, as I've described to other people, is like a "cheat code" to Buddhism. Analayo is a contemporary monk who has written a solid commentary on it.

Good luck.
The narrows are amazing. I just ordered her book. Looking forward to the read. Thanks for your input.

indianromeo
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by indianromeo » Thu May 25, 2017 4:35 pm

Sure!

Corsair_Caruso
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:50 am

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by Corsair_Caruso » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:03 am

Hello, everyone.

I'm relatively new to Buddhism; I've been meditating for about a year and seriously reading the writings of Buddhist teachers and visiting temples for about six months.

I've found that the Theravada tradition speaks to me more than the Mahayana or Vajrayana traditions, at least at this point. I'm a professor of voice/opera in East Texas and live about two hours away from the nearest temple, so I'm finding communicating with other Buddhists on the internet is the most convenient way to participate in Dhamma communities.

I look forward to learning more about my new spiritual practice from more experienced practitioners.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests