Members Bios - please contribute yours

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Artlover

Re: Members Bios - please contribute yours

Post by Artlover »

Hi Everyone, 33 year old male here and have been a follower of Buddhism for the past 3 years now. I currently live in Vietnam although I have lived in several other countries, most notably Spain, Uk & Switzerland amongst others.

I had been visiting SE Asia frequently before really embracing the Buddha's teachings. The day it all changed was in Myanmar at the Shwe Dagon pagoda, can remember that day as if it were yesterday. I was sitting around minding my own business when a curious monk approached me, amazed at my smartphone. I let him play with it. A small child then took an interest in my gopro, much to the dismay of his father. Watching the joy on their faces was a priceless moment.

There was also a group of orphans present that day and their leader took the time to sit with me and explain the basics of Buddhism to me. I have been interested in it ever since. Although I wouldn't describe myself or a lot of my actions as being in line with Buddhist doctrine, I still try and apply the wisdom in everyday life. It has made a huge difference and it continues to do so.

I am just starting a new chapter of my life. Inspired by these events and what I have learned, I have just opened an online store selling paintings & handcrafted statues of the Buddha among other items. There will be some who see this as exploiting religion for profit and they would be somewhat justified for thinking so. I see it more as providing high quality items with their corresponding high vibrations for people to decorate their living spaces and enrich their lives. Being a technophobe this is super challenging and just the fact that I got this shop up & running is a huge success. Now it's time for the fun to start.
Pasaul

Career path vs Spiritual path

Post by Pasaul »

Hi everyone,

I'm 31 (tomorrow is my birthday actually) from Canada. I've been following Buddhism since my religious studies courses 3 years ago.
Although I still struggles establishing a daily practice, my interest into the dharma haven't diminish.
I have been consulting many thread on this site over the years, but I thought It was about time to step up and start sharing and interacting more actively.
I am currently in a weird situation in my life, as I don't have a clear career path and without a job for the moment.
So I have hesitation on what should be my next move in life, invest time and effort to go back to school (I'm thinking nursing school) or
go on with something less demanding and more short term.. Which could give me more time to concentre on my practice.
The reason why hesitate so much is I can't see the point of going through all the effort of starting a career at this stage on my life, when I know It might become a hindrance later on.
I'm looking forward to heard your suggestions and recommendations,
Thank you in advance.
Kind regards.
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

My name is Dylan, I am 21 years old, I have been Buddhist since I was ~17.

I grew up as an atheist scientific-materialist with a nonreligious family.

I found Buddhism after looking into meditation in the midst of depression, existential discontent & uncertainty, & sympathy for my friends who were going through a lot of pain. I had been engrossed in bad conduct & decided it was time to stop, to be happier & set good example. Through reading about meditation I came to read about Buddhism via wikipedia, a lot of the ideas I initially found seemed at the time to correspond with what I was reading; I converted almost instantly. It took me 2-3 more years to settle against mahāyāna but I feel from the beginning I saw a clear distinction between the two sets of teachings...I always held the nikāyas as authoritative over Mahāyāna doctrine & had lots of doubts about the latter, none about the former...but nibbāna scared me & I was seduced by the bodhisattva path concept. Anyway eventually I gave it up, now I am theravādin, albeit in the likes of figures like Bhikkhu Anālayo & Bhikkhu Ñāṇananda whom are willing to reject parts of the theravāda canon.

I live in San Francisco. I was attending the University of San Francisco, I took a leave of absence for a semester after my partner whom I'd been with & living with for over a year suddenly died in my 2nd year. Then I went back after the summer recess & completed another semester as Theology & Religious Studies major. After that - in part due to the lack of equipment in the school's department for Buddhist Studies but mostly due to fearing the obstacle of debt & feeling I was not receiving a worthwhile education - I decided to discontinue pursuing a degree. Now I work full time, still living in San Francisco, with friends. I intend to ordain once I can pay off the debt I've already accumulated.

I am in the process of teaching myself to read pāli, trying to exercise regularly - I had several long periods in the past 4 years of a decent albeit never stable meditation practice...but right now I have come to a point where I think the state of my virtue is concerning & it seems without addressing that I will get nowhere with meditation.

I don't regularly attend any saṅgha or involve myself with other Buddhists, although I recently met someone in SF through facebook who is theravādin, interested in learning pāli, I intend to meet with him. There is a theravādin temple near me, I wish to give alms to the monks. I asked for their schedule once but I lost the notebook & am embarrassed to go ask again after still having not given alms since the last time. Of course that is a ridiculous way to think, though.

Also I run the facebook page in my bio, that is a fulfilling hobby I think it is good.
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

Hi,

I'm Brad - I'm 30 y/o, from Seattle area - I am finishing a Master's degree in Special Education this year, and have tentative plans to pursue another degree (MS in Computer Science...) while teaching, but this remains to be seen.

In my former life (teens/early twenties) I had my heart set on a career in music (jazz guitar lol) but this fizzled out, and now I find that music gets in the way of meditation - I simply don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

I became seriously interested in Buddhism a number of years ago - I was reading Chogyam Trungpa and following the Dalai Lama's teachings. I participated in a number of meditation groups, Shambhala, IMS, some Zen groups...I was supporting myself working as a bartender and waiter, playing music when I could get a gig. At a certain point I decided I had to make a change in livelihood so that I could truly cultivate the Noble 8 Fold Path. As I began to study and learn more about the Dhamma, I started gravitating towards early Buddhism/Theravada, and trying to make my life really accord with the teachings (difficult, but the effort is worth it!) . I don't believe, to this day that I haver ever been to a Theravada temple, or met/spoke with a monastic face to face, but I enjoy participating in Dhamma related discourse online. I actually wanted to ordain, and was seriously considering it until I told my parents - my dad, especially, couldn't deal with it. I ended up deciding that I would just work on deepening my practice in lay life for the time being, and try to support my parents as they age.

Anyway, I'm really happy to have found this forum and look forward to contributing in whatever small ways I can! :smile: I appreciate all of your contributions as well!
frank.b

Post by frank.b »

Hello to All, I'm Frank a newie to this site, but not to Buddhism. I have been a Buddhist for about 20yrs now., but some how feel that I've been a B. all my life, it just feels right.
For 3 yrs I was a monastic in England, but left to go travelling. Now living in Philippines :(
darkmoonman

Post by darkmoonman »

Hello. My name is Liam. I'm 62, an atheist, and a resident of Seattle. I've been a follower of Buddhism since I ran across its philosophy at age 15 in the translations by Max Müller (they were in fact the only sources available in the library of the tiny Southern town in which I grew up). My progress through formal Buddhism has gone from Zen to Mahayana to Theravada.

I've meditated in groups (shikantaza, vipassana) but find myself now being solitary due to lack of opportunity (the only Theravadin temple is a 90 minute drive each way).

I'm here to continue my education in Buddhism.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I felt like a change and have changed my username here from "Spiny Norman" to "Dinsdale". :hello:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Dinsdale wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:52 am I felt like a change and have changed my username here from "Spiny Norman" to "Dinsdale". :hello:
Oh? Are you planning to nail someone's head to a coffee table?

:coffee:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Dhammavaro

Post by Dhammavaro »

Hi !

I am 37 years old. Born in Austria.
First experience with meditation around 16 years ago with a teacher from the Hindu tradition.
First contact with Buddhism in China (2004)
Around 2006 I went to Thailand for a 7 day retreat, but I stayed there for 112 days.
2007 I was able to practice in a Korean Sangha in Germany.
2008 I went to Thailand again. After a two month retreat I become a Monk.
After a year in Thailand I returned to the laylife.
2010 I made 5 retreats in Germany.
2012 I went to Nepal for a retreat ( Tibetan tradition)
2013 I made 3 retreats in Thailand ( Ajahn tong tradition)
2014 retreat in Germany and Thailand. Meditation and pilgrimage to India
2016 retreat in Thailand.
2017 retreat in Thailand , Austria , Germany.

For some years I was using the mantra Buddho, now I'm looking for a retreat in Myanmar.
I will do a retreat with students from sayadaw u pandita.

Metta and Mudita !
^^The Greatest Gift to Buddha, our Parents, our teacher..is to open the eye of dhamma^^
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Dhammanando wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am
Dinsdale wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:52 am I felt like a change and have changed my username here from "Spiny Norman" to "Dinsdale". :hello:
Oh? Are you planning to nail someone's head to a coffee table?

:coffee:
Don't worry, Dinsdale has now fully reformed and joined the Quakers. His damascene conversion resulted from finally having met his nemesis, that possibly imaginary giant hedgehog. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Rokai

Post by Rokai »

Greetings to all

My name is Alex, but the name I use while online is Rokai. I'm Scottish, but born in New Zealand. I've always been interested in Buddhism, but only really got on board in the last couple of years. It's been kinda hard for me, since I've essentially been doing it by myself. There are no other Buddhists in my city (that I know of), and the closest temple is a 6hr drive. I welcome the opportunity to chat with you about Buddhism, and hope to do so often.

Thank you 🙏
Ada

Post by Ada »

I am Ada from India . New to the concept of Buddha's teachings. It has been A great revelation for me . It is a life line for me . I 'll be grateful to thus site and all those people whom I learn from ,in this right path . May we all be blessed by Buddha Dhamma Sangha . :thanks:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ada wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:34 am I am Ada from India . New to the concept of Buddha's teachings. It has been A great revelation for me . It is a life line for me . I 'll be grateful to thus site and all those people whom I learn from ,in this right path . May we all be blessed by Buddha Dhamma Sangha . :thanks:
Greetings Ada, and welcome to Dhhamma Wheel! :hello: :anjali:
RachelUK90

Post by RachelUK90 »

Hello friends,

I'm from a very secular and atheist background where religion was actively discouraged and disliked. I was always interested in Buddhism as it was one big mystery to me (unlike the other 4 main religions which stirred nothing within me) but didn't do any research until 1.5yrs ago.

I started to research it when my fiancee began working in a Japanese Zen garden, and what I read truly opened my eyes! I have A LOT to learn on the subject (judging by the topics discussed here) and I'm hoping to find some online support for my practice and study :console: I live with my brother (very atheist) and fiancee (very skeptical), so Buddhism is not a comfortable topic of discussion with anyone (my recent posting in the introductory forum has opened some doors for me though which is very good).

I practice the 8-fold path everyday (at least my understanding of it) and I have made lasting changes to my behaviour, lifestyle and outlook that I believe have placed me on the right path. I believe whole-heartedly in the four noble truths and see the evidence of it's existence in almost everything I do. I have recently begun to practice Uposatha once a week although I only started last week and I failed miserably at it :( (that being said, it showed me how deep my cravings are hooked into me and I'm looking forward to improving this over time). I am still an atheist but I believe in the philosophies of the buddha and I believe I understand much of the Buddha's teachings although some of the terminology is lost on me. I hope that my understanding will improve with increased study of the dharma, time, patience and practice.

I am very glad to have found this forum

:namaste:

Rachel
cristian555

Post by cristian555 »

Hello, myself Cristian Murazik from the USA. am professional blogger and am excited to join this forum.